Author Topic: Secondary Metering rods don't have stamped numbers?  (Read 3237 times)

Offline Chevelle1972

Secondary Metering rods don't have stamped numbers?
« on: March 15, 2012, 01:31:28 PM »
Just pulled my secondaries off of my car, but there is no stamping on them at all? Carb was rebuilt a couple years ago, don't know by who. Has a P hanger rod. Engine is a 74 400sb in my 72 chevelle. carb casting is 7041211, which would be for a 71 manual chevy right? Also what primary and secondary rods should I be running? Also which hanger would best be suited for this engine/car combo? I don't get on it much, i typically never get into the secondaries. I have some more quads in the garage i can salvage parts off of. I just purchased new AC delco spark plugs two days ago and they are already pitch black
400sb, mild cam, intake, gear drive, 2:73 rear end ratio, turbo 350 tranny, 2200 stall converter.
Thank you :D

Offline Chevelle1972

Re: Secondary Metering rods don't have stamped numbers?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 02:33:53 PM »
I am not sure if we are allowed to add links, but here are some rods i pulled off of another carb compared to the ones in mine. The ones on the right are DA, .443. What you guys guess the one on my carb was? http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb202/chevelle19721/DSC06654.jpg
Also, I think my hanger was modified and that it is the problem my secondaries stutter when they come on. I get great hesitation unless i physically open the secondary air valves while i give the engine gas. Here is a picture of a P(the one that was on my carb), M, and H hanger. http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb202/chevelle19721/DSC06650.jpg

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 04:12:56 AM »
Use the DA rods, and toss the hanger in the forground, it's bent for some reason.

Difficult to advise on primary metering rods.  The carburetor may have been commercially "remanufactured", as they use the brass rods like you found in it.  They also "hack" up the carburetors and install "generic" calibrations.....Cliff

Offline Chevelle1972

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 09:10:40 AM »
Ok I will put those rods in when I get home today. Which hanger would you advise I use? Or what letter should I get as close to as I can get? I have an M and H hanger in that picture and a couple others on other carbs. The carb was probably commercially remanufactured, today or tomorrow I will take the air horn off and take a look inside. What size primary rods should i shoot for also? Do you think the hanger was opening the secondaries a bit and letting gas go through the secondaries? when i would open the air valve while the engine is idling it would bring the RPM's up a couple hundred. What does that tell you?

Offline redman76

• Garage guy
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 07:05:18 PM »
I couldn't see mine until I got a magnifying glass and a very bright light.  Really had to get the light just right, then I could finally see them.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 04:24:08 AM »
Impossible to make tuning recomendations on commercially remanufactured units, as they often drive in smaller main airbleeds and use "generic" jets and metering rods.

I'd use the H hanger vs the M....Cliff