Author Topic: help me with my 69 firebird convertible  (Read 2034 times)

Offline dougs69

• Garage guy
help me with my 69 firebird convertible
« on: April 15, 2012, 09:04:38 AM »
Hi, Im trying to find out what q-jet to use for my engine. Ive owned this car for 26 yrs. it has a 1972 pont 350 2bbl.  Recently I found a correct 1972 pont 4 bbl intake and installed it. A friend Had a Q-jet for me to try. Its a 17059263. Well it doesnt run well at full throttle...seems like its getting too much gas. I'm using straight vacuum at the dist. The car has a th-350 trans now but I have a muncie 4 speed I'd like to change to.   3:73 rear....  I'm not looking for a race car, I just want to drive it and have it run good.  The compression was a little low 145-125... could this be adding to my delemma?  any advise from this community would be incredibly appreciated.

Thanks  Doug.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: help me with my 69 firebird convertible
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 05:08:16 AM »
Excellent carburetor, same one that I use on my own engine.  It just needs dialed in for what you are doing.  I wouldn't give up on it, just get the right parts in it for what you are doing.

When you get time, call the shop and we can get you set up with what you need....Cliff

Offline dougs69

• Garage guy
Re: help me with my 69 firebird convertible
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 01:37:28 PM »
Thank you thankyou Cliff for the reassuring words.  I needed to know if I was pointed in the right direction. I will definetly call the shop and do just what you said.

Doug