Author Topic: Screws holding throttle plate broke during removal  (Read 4441 times)

Offline bcarlson78248

• Garage guy
Screws holding throttle plate broke during removal
« on: May 01, 2012, 07:26:20 PM »
When I was removing the small screws holding the primary throttle plates the head came off  one screw on each side.  I had first ground the screw ends off where they were staked, but maybe did not get enough.

I have the throttle shaft out and one remaining screw stub on each side is sticking out on the flat recess in the shaft.  I tried to get a pliers to grab it, but can't get hold of it.

Do I just drill it out and retap the hole, or is there something that would work better to remove the remaining part of the screw?  I've never seen an easy-out that small.

Thanks,

Bruce

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Screws holding throttle plate broke during removal
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 05:01:16 AM »
I do this repair quite a bit these days.  It is not easy, but you need to drill the old screw right on center.  It may spin out as the drill bit goes thru, or you may have to increase the bit size in steps until most of it is gone, then chase the threads with a #3-48 tap.

If things go bad, we usually increase all the holes to #6-32 and use pan head screws we have here instead......Cliff

Offline bcarlson78248

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 07:52:28 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

I was able to drill them out and rethread them for a #4 40 screw.  Lowes carries the smaller screw sizes in a stainless steel pan head.  They are too long, but it was easy to cut off the extra with a Dremel once I got it threaded into the shaft.

Bruce

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 07:21:05 AM »
Good news, they are not easy to drill out on center and tap for a larger size.....Cliff