Author Topic: Number Crunching  (Read 4879 times)

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Number Crunching
« on: July 08, 2008, 09:11:56 AM »
Need to know what parts were on which carbs? Which Qjet was on your car originally? What does an A/C car carb have on it that a Non A/C carb doesn't?

Difference between Manual and Auto carbs?

Let's talk!

Offline r_dub74

Re: Number Crunching
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 01:46:37 PM »
Cliff,

I've read one of your Technical Articles whereby you decifer the 1966-1975 Rochester ID number breakdown (7 diget part number, 2 letter plant code, 4 number date code).  Is there a Rochester Manufacturer web site or any Rochester carburator literature that identifies the various two (2) letter Plant Codes?  I have the following Rochester carb; 7044221, DX, 3173, installed on a 1974 Corvette, 454cu in, 4-speed.

Thanks,
Ray

Offline jamesF

• Global Moderator
  • Carb lover
Re: Number Crunching
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 09:37:03 AM »
I don't think the plant code info is readily available.

I think folks in the Carb business dont want to give that info out freely as it makes restamping carbs accurately a simple matter..

People for the most part have the carb numbers now.. Those are in the manuals.. The plant codes were not listed in general use books or manuals. So their use, purpose and a listing of them has never been widely circulated. It's the one piece of info that is being kept close to the vest by Carb experts like Cliff.

It's probably one of the ways guys like Cliff can definitively spot a restamp when others might not be able to do so. They take a number of things into consideration when they look at the carb I would guess. Including a couple of different small part numbers, and the plant code..

Not to mention the years of research and note taking that having an up to date plant code / carb number log would entail.

I have seen this question asked before. Why give the restampers an open book?

Just what I have heard.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 09:41:01 AM by jamesF »