Author Topic: Accel pump seal  (Read 4739 times)

Offline florida4x4

• home of the wayward quadrajet
    • florida4x4's quadrajet information page
Accel pump seal
« on: September 06, 2008, 08:04:43 PM »
Hey Cliff, love your book and I'm glad to see you have a site up. I've been wondering where I can get a  rubber accordion seal for the accel pump shaft like the one on the cover pic of you book. We do a lot of deep water stuff here in the swamps and keeping water out is a high priority. My solution (pics below) has worked well but I'd like the added insurance this part could bring.

BEFORE DUNKING

AFTER

:o :o ;D ;D
1972 GMC Jimmy 4x4
Edelbrock 1906

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Accel pump seal
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 11:24:49 PM »
Welcome aboard!

The rubber boots are readily available, we stock them here.  The are held in place by a metal ring that drives into the deep recess in the airhorn of the factory Pontiac Ram Air carburetors.  This deep recess is NOT present in any other airhorns, so there would not be any way to retain the lower part of the boot.   :(

The accellerator pump also has a groove in the top of the shaft to accept the upper portion of the boot. 

It is still possible to install the boot into any q-jet, but it will not be sealed off by the retainer in the airhorn, and still may allow water to get into the carburetor.

On a side note, quite a few airhorns will have a recess in the pump area, and it would appear that the retainer would fit, but they are not cut out deep enough so that it will stay in place.  We are able to machine those out here, to accept the retainer, but are not able to cut out standard airhorns that do not have the recessed area.   :)   Hope this helps some?.....Cliff

Offline comp

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 08:43:10 AM »
mud truck ? what headers are those,,tri-Y's ???

Offline florida4x4

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 11:27:02 AM »
It's kinda an all around truck. I like rockcrawling more than the mud but it's a six hour drive to find decent rocks. The trails close to home flood a lot and we wind up with water to the headlights. I run 42" swampers with a 8 inch lift so it's a low rider..  ;D

I think I need to get a couple of those seals and see about fabbing / pressing in a lip to help secure it. Being able to stop the water there would allow me to build the snorkle hats without the extra cover which would save some fabrication time. Hmm, maybe it's six one way and half dozen the other.
1972 GMC Jimmy 4x4
Edelbrock 1906

Offline comp

• Garage guy
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »
It's kinda an all around truck. I like rockcrawling more than the mud but it's a six hour drive to find decent rocks. The trails close to home flood a lot and we wind up with water to the headlights. I run 42" swampers with a 8 inch lift so it's a low rider..  ;D

I think I need to get a couple of those seals and see about fabbing / pressing in a lip to help secure it. Being able to stop the water there would allow me to build the snorkle hats without the extra cover which would save some fabrication time. Hmm, maybe it's six one way and half dozen the other.

maybe a carb box

Offline florida4x4

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 05:29:30 AM »
yeah, I've thought of that but so far this setup is working very well. I don't plan to drive it in more that 4 feet of water so it should be ok.  ;D that rubber bit should be the extra bit of insurance without the hassle of a box.
1972 GMC Jimmy 4x4
Edelbrock 1906