Author Topic: Can this QJ be identified?  (Read 6495 times)

Offline markmann

Can this QJ be identified?
« on: April 26, 2009, 09:44:55 AM »
I have a QJ on my 69 400 Firebird that came on the car when I bought it a few years ago and now I'm thinking about having it rebuilt. The problem is that I can't seem to identify it. I've looked at many decoding charts etc but this carb seems to be missing an important number.

On the driver's side the only lettering is "Rochester Quadrajet." There is no vertical number. On the back in a small raised circular pattern is the number 7033883. Above that are raised block letters "RP." Also on the back is a vertical metal tag attached by two screws with the numbers 29865. On the base is the number 7033616. The only other thing on the carb itself is "Made in USA."

Is this an aftermarket item? Why would it not have either the circular stamped tag or the vertical 7 digit number on the driver's side? Do any of you guys know what this is?

Thanks,

Mark

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Can this QJ be identified?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 05:24:08 AM »
I have a total of 5 unstamped Pontiac castings here, so it's obvious that some Service Replacment units were produced without any stamped numbers on them. 

If it has the early style Pontiac throttle shaft, divorced choke, front inlet, etc, it is probably among the unstamped SR carbs that were produced.

We can provide complete HP kits for them, just by visual identification, no part number(s) required....Cliff

Offline markmann

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 04:31:54 AM »
Thanks Cliff. I need to either repair or replace this carb because my car just does not run like it should. It starts great when cold and runs OK cold but after warm-up the engine bogs on heavy acceleration. When warm it takes many cranks to get it going again no matter what I do with the pedal.

This carb visually looks nice and it does have a choke on the manifold (is that what you refer to as "devorced?). I'll try to post a pic so that you can see it. At that point I'm hoping you can lead me in the right direction. FYI, my 69 400 had a standard .030 rebuild done (by previous owner) a few years ago with TH400 and 3:08 gear so it's not a race car.

Mark

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 04:31:03 AM »
More than likely it just needs a kit installed and correct adjustments made.

Our kits contain a Viton tipped needle/seat assembly, .135", and a complete accellerator pump with ethanol compatable seal/garter spring, and new duration and delivery springs (custom wound to our specs).  This increases pump capacity and durabilitly/reliability for use with modern fuels.

Our kits also contain the secondary cam/spring, idle tubes, secondary throttle shaft spring, idle mixture screws with springs, and dozens of other parts not found in any over the counter kits.

Matter of fact, we just finished helping with a magazine article about Ethanol use with the Quadrajet, due out in High Performance Pontaic magazines September edition.  We actually went to a local parts store and purchased an over the counter kit, and compared the internal components to our kit for the same carburetor.

The over the counter kit still had a black rubber pump cup and cheap/soft white plastic accl pump.  The fuel inlet seat was not Viton, and it was not the OEM size for the carburetor number/application.  This happens because the company that currently supplies kits/parts to NAPA, Walker, High Grade Standard, Delco, Jiffy, and everyone else is still using up millions of "old stock" parts.  We made them aware of the problems with the contents of their kits, and they refuse to upgrade the parts.

This forced us to put our own kits together with the best parts currently available, most of which are made for us by American owned, operated, and located companies.  We refuse to go "offshore" for anything we are having made for us!......Cliff

Offline markmann

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2009, 05:36:04 AM »
EXCELLENT.

Cliff, thanks for all the great info and based on all of the personal testimonials I've heard about you over the years I absolutely trust what you say. Your kit sounds great and if a kit is what I need then yours is what I'll buy. That said I took a few pic's of my carb for you to see and hopefully let me know what I need. Can you tell by looking at the pic's what it is?

Thanks, Mark

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 06:05:16 AM »
It's an early style Pontiac q-jet, no problem getting a kit put together for it when you are ready?...thanks...Cliff