Author Topic: Carb help? advice?  (Read 2528 times)

Offline mrpontiac80

Carb help? advice?
« on: May 07, 2009, 11:18:54 PM »
Hi guys.

I finally bought your carb book and found it to be a very easy read.  I enjoyed it and it motivated me to try my first rebuild.  In reading the book, I understand that all the carbs are good overall and all can be improved... but some can be easier to work with because later year models often allready have improved designs.   

I currently have a 1974 or a 1978 model on my car ( I will explain my confusion next).  I also have 2 other quadrajets as extra parts.

1. Carb on car  ===   

So looking at the above carb, you can see that the year of the Julian date and the year of the 5th digit application year do not match. Also the number nine in the sixth digit is confusing.   Before anyone asks if I read the numbers corectly,,, YES.  I double and triple checked them. They are clean and very nicely stamped.  None of the numbers are weak stamps.     

Is it safe to say this carb is a service replacement and was made in 1978 for a 1974 appliation?  What is the 9 for?

So here is part two to this question.

I want to rebuild one of these carbs.  Obviously the one on my car runs but could be rebuilt as it leaks and just does not perform as well as it could.  The other two have sat for years.   I plan to order one of your kits and would like to start off on the right foot.

Here are the ones I have

1. carb on car =  17054914     0588

2. 17056264   D6     

3. 7044266      2343 

I am kinda a novice with the engine area although I can repair them when needed.  My car is a 1980 Trans am with a 1976 year 400 pontiac engine and an auto tranny.  The 400 is stock as far as I can tell.  I have never had it appart.  I run true dual 2 1/4" exhaust with manifolds, but may like to add headers eventually.

Offline mrpontiac80

Re: Carb help? advice?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 06:40:56 PM »
Cliff...   talked to you today on the phone and ordered a kit from you.   Thanks for the help over the phone and look forward to starting the rebuild!