Author Topic: Popping/backfire?  (Read 4801 times)

Offline gtome

• Garage guy
Popping/backfire?
« on: December 19, 2012, 05:35:26 AM »
Rebuilt my carb per recipe 3 in Cliffs book for my 455 Poncho. But im getting some popping in the exaust now. No changes to the dist from the Holley and it didnt do it before. Suppose I am getting air from somewhere? Also put on an RPM intake at the same time by the way. Starts and idles well.

Offline gtome

• Garage guy
Re: Popping/backfire?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 07:17:56 AM »
Pulled the plugs and they are super black. Guess its way rich and not lean at all.

Offline gtome

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 08:53:27 AM »
I tried to turn the mixture screw in and it wants to die that way. But even the top of the carb is turning sooty black. Just runs like crap. Then I tried turning in the APT a half turn ( I lost the paper I had with the info I took from it when I tore it down). Didnt do much for it. The idle is all over the place. Not sure whats happening here.

Offline TommyK

• Garage guy
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 10:12:33 AM »
Have you checked for nozzle drip?

Offline gtome

• Garage guy
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 03:15:17 PM »
Hell no! I already lost half my hair today!! Can it be done not running??

Offline Shark Racer

• Jet Head
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 03:41:29 PM »
Nozzle drip tends to be an issue at idle. You could probably see it on the opposite primary from you while looking from the side.

Offline gtome

• Garage guy
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 05:43:33 PM »
I guess I could grab some saftey glasses and have a look. not to dangerous at idle. But if i work the throttle it backfires through the exhaust and the carb. Spits up fuel.

Offline Zac Agee

• Garage guy
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 06:30:44 PM »
double check your fireing order. carb shouldn't make it backfire out the carb and the exhaust that is timing relateted or fireing order. id be looking there caus you changed the intake and had the distributor out.

Offline gtome

• Garage guy
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 07:21:27 PM »
I checked the firing order 3 times today! Im actually wondering if the plugs are so bad they are simply no good anymore. Im going to replace them and see if it gets me anywhere. It just doesnt seem to clear up anywhere in the throttle and it wasnt that bad the last time I started it.

Offline rich ullsmith

• Garage guy
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 08:02:41 AM »
Try using a mirror to observe nozzle action.

Offline gtome

• Garage guy
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 12:16:36 PM »
Ok so I put new plugs in and it fired right up and was pretty smooth. SO I turned the idle mix screws in til it died. Then turned them back out until I got the highest idle. Seems pretty good now, but im not convinced its not going to do it again. I looked down into the carb the best my chicken liver ass could. I didnt see any fuel anywhere at all?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id7vak63uU8

Offline Shark Racer

• Jet Head
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 04:22:37 PM »
Did those cars not have a fan shroud from the factory? lol - working on that would scare the hell out of me.

Nozzle drip is really obvious. At speed the nozzles look like a faucet on full power. At idle, you'd see them dripping like a sink faucet that had the valve virtually closed.

Offline Zac Agee

• Garage guy
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 07:24:36 PM »
what is your base timing at and are you sure your vacume advance is working? (if using one) honestly sounds like timings to retarded

Offline gtome

• Garage guy
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2012, 08:24:50 AM »
No shroud from the factory on this thing! I got a timing light cord in that baby once! Chopped it up pretty good.
But I dont see any fuel dripping in there at all. Nothing!

Base timing is 12* and all in by 3000rpms at 32*. I have tried advancing it a little but then it doesnt want to start very well when hot (a mini starter would help this im sure). But I really dont think a couple degrees would make much difference. And I did check the vac advance and its working.

Offline gtome

• Garage guy
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2012, 07:36:46 AM »
Ok so I started the car and turned the idle air screws in til it died. The turned it back out to get best running. Been driving it a little and it seems pretty good, but a few guys said it smells rich when i idle by....or just barely on the gas. SO now what? Should I try to turn the idle mix screws in a bit? Is there a way for me to lean it just off idle? I dont think I can go too much more in on the mix screws.

Also I dont know if it changes anything, but I have to keep my car idling very low because it makes it move too fast idling if I dont. I am probably at about 500 rpm if that, and when you let off the brake it still takes off moving. Might be time for a converter or maybe a rebuild.