Author Topic: Power Piston Assy Hanger spring  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Gearheadzs

Power Piston Assy Hanger spring
« on: January 01, 2013, 12:20:24 PM »
I am rebuilding my carb (7045229), and noticed during disassembly that the metering rods hanging from the power piston assy did not have the funny looking retaining spring.

I have looked at some pics in the book and online and have seen some that did not have them and was wondering if the retaining spring is a "must have" item? additionally, if it is not in place, what is the result?

I do not have a donor carb to steal this spring from, so I would need to go find one if it is absolutely necessary and would cause some sort of problem if omitted during the rebuild.

Thanks for any assistance provided!
GH

Offline Shark Racer

• Jet Head
Re: Power Piston Assy Hanger spring
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 06:21:17 PM »
I believe it's there to assist with retaining the rods, nothing more. Without it, it'll work similarly to the secondary rods - you just have to be more careful not to drop them.

The primary rods are very thin, so they bend quite easy.

Offline Gearheadzs

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 08:26:23 AM »
Thanks, i was thinking it would be ok to leave it off, but wanted to check first.
GH

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 04:35:45 AM »
The spring was actually used by the factory to keep the metering rods from vibrating in the jets and wearing them out.

I would install it.  We have new ones, and can supply them with our kits if needed.....Cliff

Offline Shark Racer

• Jet Head
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2013, 10:07:55 AM »
Good info, Cliff. Thanks for the correction. I'll keep that in mind from now on.