Author Topic: Parts interchange question  (Read 3008 times)

Offline FirebirdMan68

Parts interchange question
« on: May 30, 2009, 12:12:53 AM »
So I'm kind of new to the quadrajet rebuilding game and I noticed a lot more chevy quadrajet availability then BOP. So i was wondering if chevy quadrajet parts work on BOP quadrajets of the same year? Would a 77 chevy quadrajet baseplate fit and work with a 77 buick quadrajet for example. Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Parts interchange question
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 03:35:52 AM »
Many parts will physically bolt in place, but may not work correctly without modifying them some.  This fact covers most years and models. 

Keep in mind that quadrajets are application specific, and each unit was tuned exactly for the engine it ended up on.  Swapping parts around, even though they fit, is "hit and miss" unless you set up the donor part exactly like the original part in all areas.

For example, a late 70's Chevy airhorn may physically replace an Olds airhorn, but will not work well due to having much larger main airbleeds.

It is always best to keep all the original parts together, and use parts from the same carburetor number when swapping them around.  In all cases when parts for another carburetor are used, they should match up in every area exactly. 

Our book covers recalibration, in addition to complete/correct rebuilding.  This helps the tuner when setting up donor parts as the areas that need modified are clearly noted.....Cliff