Author Topic: Busted air/fuel screw stuck  (Read 6733 times)

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
Re: Busted air/fuel screw stuck
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 05:16:09 PM »
pmd send the base plate to me and ill take it out (free of charge ) i like a challenge once in a while. zip 82718

Offline Shark Racer

• Jet Head
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 08:40:11 PM »
Are there any good photo documents of how these early APT setups work? I'd love to see one...

Offline PMD1969

• Carb lover
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2013, 03:28:46 PM »
I have yet to put any heat on the screw and base plate.  I have a MAPP torch I can use.  Anyone know how much heat the base plate can take.  I really do not want to FUBAR it up.

Marc

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2013, 08:34:56 PM »
marc id heat it up to at least 150 -200 . some of that loctite doesnt like to let go.heat the top and bottom evenly and dont hold it on to long.i put mine in 180 degree water and it didnt come loose so i took the torch and go it hotter im guessing close to 250 once i got it to move a little i melted wax on it and it came right out.

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2013, 08:43:52 PM »
shark answer to your question . my camera broke or id take photos. best way to explain it is like this. have you ever mounted anything on a sheet rock wall?you drill a hole and insert a plastic piece and then you put in the screw and the screw spreads the plastic open so it wont pull out.works the same way. the screw spreads a steel  (y )looking piece which spreads and raises the power valve which has a little rod protruding out the bottom of it.ill post some pics when i get my camera fixed.fwiw

Offline Shark Racer

• Jet Head
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2013, 09:10:29 PM »
Neat. Looking forward to it.

Thanks for the explanation!

Do all the 4Ms have this setup or just a few?

Offline PMD1969

• Carb lover
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 08:48:31 AM »
Well... it hs been a while and I have tried putting some MAPP heat to the affect screw.  No dice.  I heated it up and run some wax in it.  Then tried to clean it out reheat and put some PB in overnight.  Then tried to cut slot down the middle and used a small flathead to turn it.  Broke that.