Author Topic: replacing a secondary jet?  (Read 2749 times)

Offline hunter55

• Garage guy
replacing a secondary jet?
« on: March 26, 2013, 06:40:37 PM »
Well I've really done it now.  I accidently drilled out one of my secondary jets with a 21 drill bit (.158).  I see that Quadrajet parts sells replacement jets but I wanted some expert advice on whether its feasable to replace them.  I'm willing to give it a shot if anyone here has accomplished this feat and can give some pointers.  Thanks for any input.  I'm ready to order a kit and some additional parts from Cliff but am hesitant to do so until i'm convinced I can fix this screw up first.

Offline Shark Racer

• Jet Head
Re: replacing a secondary jet?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 07:34:24 PM »
Definitely gonna be watching this thread - but I have to ask, how'd you do it? Drilling out the well plugs?

Offline hunter55

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 04:19:34 AM »
Shark Racer-  Well I was intending to drill the well for the single metering rod that hangs from the second power piston that came with this early 75 Q-jet so I could tap and plug that jet.  It was dark in my shop and trying to do it with my drill press I just got turned around and drilled that jet instead.  I knew something wasn't right as soon as the bit popped through so easily.  Very embarrasing. 

Offline Shark Racer

• Jet Head
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 08:32:24 AM »
D'oh!

But we've all been there. :(

I messed up an air horn once because I was using a punch that was a bit too small and it got inside the roll pin when trying to push it out. :|

Offline hunter55

• Garage guy
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 06:12:29 PM »
well I got the drilled jet out tonight using a deck screw and a pair of channel lock pliers. I'm waiting on a replacement jet from "Quadrajet Parts".  Looks to me like pressing in the new jet will be pretty straight foreward if I can get it lined up  straight and pressed in squarely.  I suppose a tiny bit of epoxy under the jet would be a good idea too.  Is there anyone out there that has done this before that might have some advice?

Offline hunter55

• Garage guy
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 09:34:15 AM »
Well I got the replacement secondary jets (washers) and they are .010 larger than the originals.  I put them in along with the kit I got from Cliff and everything was running good until I got into the secondary's and the engine wouldn't idle back down to normal and was running very rich with tons of black exhaust coming out.  I found a donor carb and was able to get the jets out of it without damaging them by cutting the well area off the bottom and lightly punching them out.  Haven't got them installed yet but hoping that will solve the problem. 

Offline hunter55

• Garage guy
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 06:53:45 PM »
And the saga continues, got the jets in just fine and steaked them slightly with a sharp punch. While I had it apart I replaced the
.041 primary rods with .044's.  The carb now idles very nicely and has really nice power through the entire range of the primarys through all four
Gears.  The secondarys come on strong with no bog but they tend to stick slightly open .  I ground the base gasket back a bit
But apparently that wasn't the problem because it did the same thing again when I got it out again.  Anyway, I'm very happy with the way it runs
And idles and ill get the secondary thing figured out.