Author Topic: One of those @#%!#%^ days  (Read 3956 times)

Offline Shark Racer

• Jet Head
One of those @#%!#%^ days
« on: May 19, 2013, 03:37:55 AM »
I'm finishing off a carb for a friend and couldn't get the secondaries to hit 90. (They were stopping at about 66*).

Bent the linkage and they'd get a bit further. Bend it a bit more and it wouldn't go as far. ?!?!

After an hour and a half of playing with it and feeling like a complete dumb-dumb, I got tired of listening to the secondary shaft squeek and idly sprayed it with some of my gun CLP. Worked the secondaries to work the solvent in... and they went 110*.

SON OF A...

I quit!

Re-adjusted the linkage and bent the secondary "stop" link a bit and now we have 90/90 on both. Throttle body is all one piece now, and the main body and air horn will get assembled tomorrow and thrown on the car tomorrow afternoon.

I'm going to stop doing these for people pretty soon, I think. I'm beat.

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
Re: One of those @#%!#%^ days
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 02:42:35 PM »
youll have that on the (big jobs ) i cant leave anything alone.im pulling the front pull off shafts out of junk carbs and installing them in carbs that had the rear pulloff that way i only have to deal with one pulloff. problem is im building aluminum blocks with setscrews to mount to the airhorn and it just takes time.fwiw

Offline Shark Racer

• Jet Head
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 06:04:18 PM »
This thing has fought me every step of the way. The last guy who worked on it was a real ... nevermind!

This is what it looked like when it came in:

I started getting nervous when I saw this:

After some soda love:

Almost cried when I look at the first pic and this one back to back:

The power piston came out with a fight, primary throttle blade screws had NOTHING to grab onto (had to drill one of them out), airhorn was stuck on pretty good, secondary throttle shaft was decently seized... ugh.

I'm on a QJet vacation for a while!

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 05:25:02 AM »
NICE JOB i dont finish a carb like that i just clean them and put back together. im going to try something new(im going to heat one up about 400 and dip it in oil.clean for some and dirty for another look.

Offline hunter55

• Garage guy
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 03:06:05 PM »
Shark, that looks almost exactly like one I just finished for my wife's 68 firebird using
My new copycad plating system.  I plated the main body and air horn and with a very
Short time in the chromate they came out the same color as yours.  I dipped the choke housing in the chromate
Without plating it and it turned out dark brown just like yours.  I did glass bead it again
And shot a little clearcoat on it to suit my taste better though. Anyway I'm very pleased
With the plating system and just started tearing down another carb I got from OMAHA
to keep feeding my quadrajet addiction.  I've been running an edlebrock carb on my 67
GTO but not for long now.

Offline Shark Racer

• Jet Head
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 05:19:52 PM »
Nice, this is an M4MC now M4ME going on an 67 Firebird. Small world! :)

Offline hunter55

• Garage guy
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 07:42:22 PM »
What kind of throttle cable lever is that? Doesn't look like any of the
Original stuff I've ever seen.  Really clean looking though.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 04:55:49 PM »
What kind of throttle cable lever is that? Doesn't look like any of the
Original stuff I've ever seen.  Really clean looking though.

I would like to know as well.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2013, 04:57:33 PM »
I'm finishing off a carb for a friend and couldn't get the secondaries to hit 90. (They were stopping at about 66*).

Bent the linkage and they'd get a bit further. Bend it a bit more and it wouldn't go as far. ?!?!

After an hour and a half of playing with it and feeling like a complete dumb-dumb, I got tired of listening to the secondary shaft squeek and idly sprayed it with some of my gun CLP. Worked the secondaries to work the solvent in... and they went 110*.

SON OF A...

I quit!

Re-adjusted the linkage and bent the secondary "stop" link a bit and now we have 90/90 on both. Throttle body is all one piece now, and the main body and air horn will get assembled tomorrow and thrown on the car tomorrow afternoon.

I'm going to stop doing these for people pretty soon, I think. I'm beat.

I know what you mean. Just finished rebuilding a Muncie transmission. Some things were a pain in the you know what! Won't be doing one for awhile. Good to just walk away for alittle bit. :)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Shark Racer

• Jet Head
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 02:34:30 PM »
I would like to know as well.

It's a reproduction throttle shaft from Paul Spotts.

He makes them so that you can install an M4M carb onto a late 60's Poncho setup. Those setups have brackets that then get bolted to what you see. I don't have the bracket on yet, that should be arriving today. Will be heading to San Ramon on Sunday to do idle and cruise tuning, then this goes off to our mutual friend for his 67 bird. :)

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2013, 03:25:13 PM »
 Thanks. Didn't know they had that. Pretty cool. 8)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)