Author Topic: Odd Carburetor  (Read 7973 times)

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
Odd Carburetor
« on: June 22, 2013, 04:54:18 PM »
 I have a Rochester DualJet 2MC #17056156 carb. Can anyone tell me how the secondary system works? Or is there even a secondary system? The secondary flaps in the air horn are non-existent, but still has the secondary flaps in the throttle body. It looks like a Quadrajet, except for the air horn assembly w/ no secondary flaps. Carb kind of confuses me. :o Thanks!
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
Re: Odd Carburetor
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 03:39:34 PM »
I have a Rochester DualJet 2MC #17056156 carb. Can anyone tell me how the secondary system works? Or is there even a secondary system? The secondary flaps in the air horn are non-existent, but still has the secondary flaps in the throttle body. It looks like a Quadrajet, except for the air horn assembly w/ no secondary flaps. Carb kind of confuses me. :o Thanks!

Here is what mine looks like:

Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Shark Racer

• Jet Head
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 04:15:56 PM »
Fascinating. Without the air valves, I can't imagine that it really has secondaries, but it still requires a 4 barrel intake to run. Maybe something they did to try to simplify costs? (1 intake for all cars?)

Have you taken it apart to see if there's any passages? Would love to see photos of a detailed teardown.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 07:09:03 PM »
Fascinating. Without the air valves, I can't imagine that it really has secondaries, but it still requires a 4 barrel intake to run. Maybe something they did to try to simplify costs? (1 intake for all cars?)

Have you taken it apart to see if there's any passages? Would love to see photos of a detailed teardown.

Haven't taken it apart yet, Steve. Will do a detailed teardown of this carb though. :)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Shark Racer

• Jet Head
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 12:22:50 AM »
Looking forward to it. Thanks Ethan!

Offline omaha

• Jet Head
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 11:35:45 PM »
yeah its just the front half of a Q-jet but with the casting still in place. they also made them without the rear so it looks like an actual 2  barrel. I guess if you were real careful you could make it into a 4 barrel. don't know if the passages ae there though.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 08:55:04 AM »
 Mine is a DualJet 165.

Have way down the page it shows the model DualJet 165.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/would-stock-holley-good-mpg-189464.html
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Shark Racer

• Jet Head
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 06:07:18 PM »
Great info, thanks Ethan. :)

Offline Schurkey

• Carb lover
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 12:09:06 PM »
There may be a functioning Q-Jet throttle body, but the carb is just a two-barrel.  Just making a guess:  If you've got throttle plates for the secondaries, someone replaced the throttle body with one from a Q-Jet.  I would not expect GM to have paid for the throttle plates, throttle shaft, and machining/assembly to put non-usable secondary throttle plates into a carb that isn't going to have functioning secondaries.

DualJet 165

DualJet 200

DualJet 210

Demand compensation from Communist China for the damage done by the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Lab, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19).  Trillions of dollars, plus direct compensation to individuals for medical bills, and "wrongful death" settlements.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 03:14:09 PM »
There may be a functioning Q-Jet throttle body, but the carb is just a two-barrel.  Just making a guess:  If you've got throttle plates for the secondaries, someone replaced the throttle body with one from a Q-Jet.  I would not expect GM to have paid for the throttle plates, throttle shaft, and machining/assembly to put non-usable secondary throttle plates into a carb that isn't going to have functioning secondaries.

DualJet 165

DualJet 200

DualJet 210

You are correct, Schurkey. Thought it had secondary throttle plates. I must of had a brain fart. :o Here are some pictures of it.

Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline PMD1969

• Carb lover
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2013, 07:56:35 AM »
Could have been a cheap way of trying to save on fuel.  Instead of changing manifolds, linkage, vac lines and everything else on the car/motor this carb would step it down to a two barrel.

Offline Shark Racer

• Jet Head
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2013, 10:03:44 AM »
I'm thinking it was to ease up production. One manifold for everything. I'd love to own one, neat carb.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 04:01:04 PM »
I'm thinking it was to ease up production. One manifold for everything. I'd love to own one, neat carb.

It is a neat carb. Unusual, but neat. ;D
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)