Author Topic: 69 Fire Bird Q Jet.  (Read 3263 times)

Offline Sgraf

69 Fire Bird Q Jet.
« on: December 30, 2013, 03:49:42 PM »
Recently bought a 69 Fire Bird 400 Convertible, the engine and drive train are fresh, however
when it came to choosing a cam he chose something as he said "as close to a Trans Am as
possible", however I think it's  little taller in that it has a definite lope to it.

Having said all that, I'm having a problem with the choke. I don't think the heat riser on the
intake manifold is working properly and I'm sure that the vacuum is far too low for the carb.
to work properly. In an attempt to solve part of the problem I bought a Q Jet I think is off a
'77 caddy, which has an electric choke, the ID # is 17057530 there is also an 1107 ARJ don't
know what the last 4 digits and 3 Alfa characters mean. Is it 110 day of "77? When I receive
Cliff's book I'm sure it will tell me which spring to use for the power piston (probably Orange).
Three questions   1. What jets and what not were in that carb. originally  and
       2. Was this a reasonable choice, is it worth rebuilding?
                          3. Is this a 750 or 800 cfm carb?

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
Re: 69 Fire Bird Q Jet.
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 07:22:05 PM »
Recently bought a 69 Fire Bird 400 Convertible, the engine and drive train are fresh, however
when it came to choosing a cam he chose something as he said "as close to a Trans Am as
possible", however I think it's  little taller in that it has a definite lope to it.

Having said all that, I'm having a problem with the choke. I don't think the heat riser on the
intake manifold is working properly and I'm sure that the vacuum is far too low for the carb.
to work properly. In an attempt to solve part of the problem I bought a Q Jet I think is off a
'77 caddy, which has an electric choke, the ID # is 17057530 there is also an 1107 ARJ don't
know what the last 4 digits and 3 Alfa characters mean. Is it 110 day of "77? When I receive
Cliff's book I'm sure it will tell me which spring to use for the power piston (probably Orange).
Three questions   1. What jets and what not were in that carb. originally  and
       2. Was this a reasonable choice, is it worth rebuilding?
                          3. Is this a 750 or 800 cfm carb?

Welcome to CHP!

#1: Stock specs of carb 17057530 were Primary Jets .070", Primary Metering Rods 38L, Secondary Hanger "K" and Secondary Metering Rods DS.

#2: Not sure if it was a good choice. That is a Cadillac carb, so it would have the side-inlet for the fuel line, where as your Pontiac will have the straight inlet. Probably have to re-route your fuel line. The later carbs are the best, but maybe a BOP carb of the later Qjet's would be preferable. Cliff will be the best to answer.

#3: I believe carb 17057530, is the 800cfm version.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Sgraf

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 12:23:40 AM »
Ethan, thanks for the info and the quick response. I'm looking forward to checking out Cliffs
book. I've worked on a number of Q Jets over the years but not for some time, things change
and you forget a lot so it will be interesting.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 06:48:05 AM »
Ethan, thanks for the info and the quick response. I'm looking forward to checking out Cliffs
book. I've worked on a number of Q Jets over the years but not for some time, things change
and you forget a lot so it will be interesting.

Not a problem. Cliff's book is very detailed, so I think you will enjoy it. ;)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2014, 05:40:34 AM »
If you don't mind the side fuel inlet the big Caddy carb is a good choice for what you are doing.  It will need a little help, but not too far off in stock form.  Did you get one of our kits for it?  Tuning parts?.....Cliff

Offline Sgraf

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 01:06:22 AM »
Hi Cliff, all I've done so far is to disassemble and clean it.
Bought your book, figured I would do a little research before I started asking questions.
The fuel line has already been modified as the Q-Jet that is on the engine now is a side entry.

If I'm remembering correctly the number on the Q-Jet that is on the car now is 17057213 I will verify it in the morning.

Offline Sgraf

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 04:23:08 PM »
That is the correct P/N, 17057213 with 0837 date code. By the way where is that book coming from?

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 05:12:25 PM »
That is the correct P/N, 17057213 with 0837 date code. By the way where is that book coming from?

If you ordered it from the homepage on this website, then it will probably be coming from Ohio. :)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)