Author Topic: leaking plugs 7027146  (Read 1663 times)

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
leaking plugs 7027146
« on: April 10, 2014, 08:55:41 PM »
im in the process of giving advice to a friend thats building this carb. ordered all the parts from cliff.i had him test the bottom brass plugs with gas . he let the carb sit full of gas for 2 days and said the plugs didn't leak.no wet spots on paper towel or table .i told him cliff says to test it with compressed air . well what do you know  with soap and water it looks like old faithful in wyoming.just a heads up for people who don't have compressed air and think that the gas test always works . it failed on this carb.fwiw

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
Re: leaking plugs 7027146
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 09:25:39 PM »
im in the process of giving advice to a friend thats building this carb. ordered all the parts from cliff.i had him test the bottom brass plugs with gas . he let the carb sit full of gas for 2 days and said the plugs didn't leak.no wet spots on paper towel or table .i told him cliff says to test it with compressed air . well what do you know  with soap and water it looks like old faithful in wyoming.just a heads up for people who don't have compressed air and think that the gas test always works . it failed on this carb.fwiw

Yep, pretty common for those older carbs, '68-prior, to have leaking bottom plugs. Glad you caught it. Saved your friend a lot of headaches down the road. ;)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)