Quadrajet Problem Solving > Quadrajet Parts and Numbers

CA or FED standards,, which is it!! :)

(1/3) > >>

Hayapower:
Joined up to find an answer for a nagging question/s, hope someone has clarity :)

I have a 69 T/A that has had a SR push'n fuel for 35ish years and the original QJ is long gone.. The question is about what would have been on it originally, and where the conversations have now gone. Trying for show correctness, a more common carb of 7029263 should be technically correct, but being a CA car sold here, would the 'correct' carb be a 7029563 for CA standards even with no AIR emission? Build date was 5/69..

The other question is, the 6th number always seems to be 6 for Pontiac, but how common would a #7/Pontiac placement be, or does it ever appear for a 69 MY? Same applies for odd numbers for manual trans, what would be a common number, and, how often to the others appear?

Guess all the questions lead into, what my options are and/or chances are for finding a carb or core for my application. I've seen a few 702926#'s for sale, but have never come across a 5 number CA carb.. I was told that 702926# or 702826# (early RA models/Judge etc) had only these carb number options and extended into early/mid 69 MY, and '5' standards never came into play?

Any insite?, Thanks...

Hayapower:
Saw an older post/listing that Cliff sold a 7029273 RA carb, So that answered one of my questions, but the CA application if it applies certainly would narrow the possibilities.. Would be no point in replacing a good SR carb with an 'almost ' correct 7029 unit..

jjr:

I would think that the Pontiac service manual should list the exact carb number for each and every
application. The manuals for later model years do.

As far as absolute number logic, there appear to be exceptions. This presents itself particularly in
the Manual/Auto number logic.

Joe

jjr:

Which engine, I found a reference...?

Joe

jjr:

Giant Delco carb book shows....

1969 (Ram-Air) 400

7029270 Auto
 7029273 Manual

1969 350, 400

7029268 Auto