Author Topic: Parts list for rebuild of carb's in New Zealand  (Read 2127 times)

Offline HeathD

• Garage guy
Parts list for rebuild of carb's in New Zealand
« on: October 18, 2014, 09:47:41 PM »
Hey Cliff and Team.

I sent this by email a few days back but havent heard so maybe it was a dud address.   Sorry for the replication here.

Okay got my possible carbs sorted and now have to make a decision about which are junk and which are keepers for my project (going to rebuild 2 for my project - one for now as is and one for later when I get a few mods done as a spare).

Current carb (I think a number 1 was left off when it was stamped).

others

Which two would make a better rebuild for a std 1970's 350 chevy with std heads, free flow headers (to be made yet) and procomp intake manifold, all bolted to a th350 trans.   

Carbs 17084596,17085292(elec?) and 7058508 have the "bump" in the primarys.

My current leaning is towards the current carb #7058508 (which I will keep to rebuild later as it is a high flow carb - has the bump - so will suit my later engine mods) and the carb that supposedly came from a 74 vett # 17059222 (is lower flow model - no bump - but should suit my mild setup).   These two look almost identical so swapping parts should be okay if I have an issue down the line. 

Are these two a good selection or should I be looking elsewhere?   

If I was to rebuild one other for sale which would you suggest (might rebuild 3 while the kiwi dollar holds against the US$)?

Cliff what parts would you recommend to set these(my current one and the best candidate) back to suitable for daily use in addition to a basic rebuild kit?   I have no idea of their current setups or if they have been modified so best to assume they are not compatible and go from there.   Being on the bottom of the world I have to think of all possible issues and try to cover them, but not blow the budget on bits I wont need.   

What would you bring if you were to travel all the way here to fix 3 carbs and didnt have access to a parts store nearby - except by post?   I have some bits so I can adjust any parts list accordingly before ordering.

Thanks in advance for you help, I apologise for my lengthy post.

Regards,

Heath

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Parts list for rebuild of carb's in New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 04:20:09 AM »
I would avoid the truck carb with the solenoid and rear only pull-off.

The others are basically equal from a performance standpoint.  I would use the ones that are in the best shape and most complete.

No problems supplying anything that you would need for them.....thanks...Cliff

Offline HeathD

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 11:17:04 PM »
Cheers Cliff,

I think I will go with 2 SR kits for the current carb and the vett carb. ( #7058508 and # 17059222).

Screw kits for both and the APT cover screws too

New primary jets/metering rods to suit a std anda mild 350 chev

new secondary metering rods to suit above.

Fuel filter housing adapter to AN6 if you have them for both carbs

Bottom plug kit (will this be enough sealant for two carbs) with plugs for two carbs (can the marine tex be shipped, if not just the  plugs will do).

Anything else I should consider?

Cheers.

Offline HeathD

• Garage guy
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 08:27:23 PM »
Xmas came early to my house this past weekend with a "care parcel" from Cliff.

Cheers Cliff.   Easy to deal with and great customer service.   Wouldn't hesitate to recommend Cliff and his team for anything you need (even from almost the other side of the world).

Just need to sort some bottom plug doohickees and I'm away laughing.

Regards,

Heath