Author Topic: Quadrajet cold starts fine, stumbles , then clears up  (Read 2096 times)

Offline Metal Man

• Garage guy
Quadrajet cold starts fine, stumbles , then clears up
« on: December 10, 2014, 05:44:29 PM »
I have a quadrature with a electric choke on my stock 84 Chevy truck with a 350 engine. The carb and choke has been working fine all year but now that its got a little colder it stumbles after start up. When it first did it I opened hood to see fuel coming out of fuel pump body. I replaced the fuel pump and it still stumbles but does not push fuel from pump body. I dont know if thats a separate issue but the pump is new with a regulator set at 3.5-4psi.

On a cold morning(every morning) I press the pedal down once and turn the key. The engine starts up perfectly. After about 5-10 seconds it starts to stumble and smell rich. Then after about another minute or two  it clears up and is running very smooth again. When it start to stumble I press the pedal and the stumble does not clear up but RPMs do raise. After a minute it will clear up also.

Any ideas ? I dread messing with the choke because its seems a small adjustment makes big changes.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
Re: Quadrajet cold starts fine, stumbles , then clears up
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 06:23:37 PM »
I have a quadrature with a electric choke on my stock 84 Chevy truck with a 350 engine. The carb and choke has been working fine all year but now that its got a little colder it stumbles after start up. When it first did it I opened hood to see fuel coming out of fuel pump body. I replaced the fuel pump and it still stumbles but does not push fuel from pump body. I dont know if thats a separate issue but the pump is new with a regulator set at 3.5-4psi.

On a cold morning(every morning) I press the pedal down once and turn the key. The engine starts up perfectly. After about 5-10 seconds it starts to stumble and smell rich. Then after about another minute or two  it clears up and is running very smooth again. When it start to stumble I press the pedal and the stumble does not clear up but RPMs do raise. After a minute it will clear up also.

Any ideas ? I dread messing with the choke because its seems a small adjustment makes big changes.

Maybe junk in the needle and seat? Choke issue?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 06:27:29 PM by Ethan1 »
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 05:19:56 PM »
check if you got a crack in your hose going to the chock pull off. or if the pull off went bad. hth

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 05:48:25 AM »
Sounds like a defective pull-off or leak going to it as mentioned....Cliff