Author Topic: getting started  (Read 3987 times)

Offline ChadB

• Garage guy
getting started
« on: September 17, 2015, 04:01:50 PM »
I have rebuilt lots of Qjets but have never modified any. Recently i put a 79 cadillac Qjet on my 5.0 Mustang. Love it. I just aquired another Qjet from an early Cadillac that i want to learn how to modify and really set my tires on fire. I also will put one on my 460 in my truck. Obviously i need Cliffs book but just wanted to start some conversations on how well the bottom power can be because i lost some bottom end but this carb smokes any "H Word" i ever had on it. Anyome wanna chat?

Offline carmantx

• Carb lover
  • Quadrajet Power.com
    • Quadrajet Power
Re: getting started
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 05:58:42 PM »
Welcome Chad.
Shouldn't lose any bottom end power once you get it set up right.
'72 Buicks for fun and drag racing
quadrajetpower on facebook

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 07:20:01 PM »
i run them on all my fords . excellent milage and power. waiting for a manifold for my 69 mustang with a 351w. then i think ill built a 1910 edelbrock . just because i have one.not that i need it. i have one on a 72 ltd 429 and a79 f250 460. there perfect. fwiw

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 07:39:38 PM »
I have rebuilt lots of Qjets but have never modified any. Recently i put a 79 cadillac Qjet on my 5.0 Mustang. Love it. I just aquired another Qjet from an early Cadillac that i want to learn how to modify and really set my tires on fire. I also will put one on my 460 in my truck. Obviously i need Cliffs book but just wanted to start some conversations on how well the bottom power can be because i lost some bottom end but this carb smokes any "H Word" i ever had on it. Anyome wanna chat?

Welcome to CHP!
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline ChadB

• Garage guy
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 10:18:31 AM »
Thanks for the speedy replies. Also as i read stuff here everyone seems to have good personalities. Very likeable. Thank u.  Well i was hopin bottom end would come back when carb gets set up right. I miss slappin the accelerator and gettin the back end to wiggle. I am still blown away by these carbs. Havent played with one for over 10 years. I think i saw that the rebuild kits are 34 bucks. What about the tune kits? Hows that work? Do i need to give Cliff engine specs or does someone else wanna suggest?

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 12:03:20 PM »
Thanks for the speedy replies. Also as i read stuff here everyone seems to have good personalities. Very likeable. Thank u.  Well i was hopin bottom end would come back when carb gets set up right. I miss slappin the accelerator and gettin the back end to wiggle. I am still blown away by these carbs. Havent played with one for over 10 years. I think i saw that the rebuild kits are 34 bucks. What about the tune kits? Hows that work? Do i need to give Cliff engine specs or does someone else wanna suggest?

Yes, give Cliff the carb number, engine specs, what car it is going in, transmission, rear end ratio, etc. He will set you up, for that back end to wiggle again.  ;)
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline ChadB

• Garage guy
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 02:16:55 PM »
Guarantee he will but as i am learning how to navigate this forum i realize how busy Cliff is. So i figure fellow motorheads could put in their 2cents if they want and lets see what they say then of course get it apppved by Cliff. My wife and i are having our 2nd chold next week so i prolly wont be able to afford settin this carb up til after first of year. I thought if we wanted to see what everyone thought it would be fun.  My main thing i want to spend money on is the rearend i need to rebuild for the spring then carb. Plus bowseason is gonna start here in Ohio so besides new baby and a few hunts my hands are full. Plus i dont have a garage. Thanks for responses i log on often to see whats happening on here.

Offline ChadB

• Garage guy
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 02:48:01 PM »
17059230 is a 79 Cadillac with a 425. The sticker on the car said 7.0 litre. Thats what i have on a 306 built for close to 400 horse. May not quite be 400 according to Ford Racing but a long article i read about guys using the heads i have where trying for 400 at flywheel and my heads are pretty heavily modified i have a flat tappet cam they had roller but i have 289 rods shaved for .010 thousanths below deck. They used stock. Plus i have full floating hypereutectic pistons. Stock rearend til spring then 4.10 gears in an 8.8 inch rearend. Stock 4 speed. For starters does anyone have any thoughts for what i need to do? The other Qjet i am gettin isnt here yet. Being shipped from Colorado.

Offline carmantx

• Carb lover
  • Quadrajet Power.com
    • Quadrajet Power
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2015, 07:19:25 PM »
Congrats on your new kid coming!
Don't get a kit from a store, most are junk parts.  Gaskets may be only thing you can use.  Cliff has good parts and can supply what you need to set it up the right way.  It is cheaper to do it right the first time.
'72 Buicks for fun and drag racing
quadrajetpower on facebook

Offline ChadB

• Garage guy
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 03:45:17 PM »
Yesterday my second daughter was born. Scheduled c-sec. Wife is doin great she may come home tomorrow. New daughter is real good and current daughter at 3 years old loves her baby sister. Whew. I dont facebook so i wanted to tell yall about it.

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 05:07:00 PM »
Yesterday my second daughter was born. Scheduled c-sec. Wife is doin great she may come home tomorrow. New daughter is real good and current daughter at 3 years old loves her baby sister. Whew. I dont facebook so i wanted to tell yall about it.

Congrats on your new daughter bud! As long as she and her mama are healthy, that is all that matters. I have a nephew on the way. Actually my 4th nephew, but I get excited every time! Again, congrats! ;D
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline ChadB

• Garage guy
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 12:42:55 PM »
Here in just a bit i gonna go get my wife and new daughter. Will be nice knowing they healthy enough to be home. Hopefully soon i can tear i to my Qjet that came from Colorado ( i in Ohio) from an old man i got most of my engine parts from. He is a retired boat racer. Life is pretty sweet right now even though i gonna miss opening bow season weekend this weekend.

Offline ChadB

• Garage guy
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2015, 04:53:36 PM »
Had another girl. One 3yrs one 3 months. Just started tearing a Qjet down and just started reading Cliffs book. Sure is good. Family getting settled in well so i can do stuff again so after i justed changed mufflers to Magnaflow Magnapacks i ready for carb play time. Building a rearend with 4.10 gears now also and hoping wife keeps her tongue quiet as i spend money on my 83gt.