Author Topic: intro  (Read 1826 times)

Offline mmcwill56

intro
« on: October 05, 2015, 01:57:56 PM »
I am new to the site and to GM.  For 50+ years I ran around in Fords and a year ago got my first Chevy.  No more Fords for me.  My Chevy is completely stock and I need to change things out as they need to be replaced or fail.
1986 Chevy pickup K10 4x4, short bed, 350 (5.7), 700r4, locking diff with 3.73 gears, factory quad shock front end, factory 4"lift.  I have removed all the smog equipment, unplugged all the electrical leads to the carburetor.  It had AC that didn't work and since I live in Washington right near the Canadian border I removed it.  I want only what I need hanging off the front of the engine.  I do off-road a lot, haul some heavy loads of fire wood and the carburetor functions ok since I unplugged everything but it isn't perfect.  Oh! I have pulled the ecm or what ever they call that computer module out from under the dash and threw it away also.  I have a set of Hedman Elite long tube headers to put on and have bought a new distributer to drop in.  I really need to change out the intake manifold and carburetor; a friend owed me some money and gave me a couple of shot-out Q-Jets that need to be rebuilt and so I thought for the time being I could rebuild one of those and put it on the numbers on them are 7045213 / L5 * YA  and  17058213  /  3137  BJB.  Please advise me on what to do 

Offline mmcwill56

Re: intro
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 02:47:59 PM »
You guys probably already know this but both of those carbs are Carter or at least that is what is stamped on them.

Offline carmantx

• Carb lover
  • Quadrajet Power.com
    • Quadrajet Power
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 09:02:45 PM »
They are both Chevy 350 carbs originally.  I would probably go with the 78 carb 17058213.  Unless you need/want a choke up there, then I would fine a hot air choke carb and convert to electric.
If you are building it yourself, get your parts from Cliff.
'72 Buicks for fun and drag racing
quadrajetpower on facebook

Offline mmcwill56

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 10:41:11 AM »
thanks for the advice CarMax you were the only one to offer up anything at all and your advice was taken

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 06:31:09 AM »
the biggest problem you may run into is if someboby molested the carb. i would use the 17058213 because its newer and not all that bad of carb . for what your doing i would use the top end of receipe 1 and it should work fine. make sure you fix the throtttle shaft bushings and buy good parts or you will be doing this again. ps. i would have kept the ford and put a q jet on it that way you would have had the best of both worlds. fwiw