Author Topic: what are Q-jets made of?  (Read 2995 times)

Offline omaha

• Jet Head
what are Q-jets made of?
« on: December 24, 2009, 01:08:00 AM »
      I know this may seem like a dumb question but what parts are made of what? How much zinc is in the main body/top?  Is the base plate a certain aluminum alloy?  Pot metal anywhere? Copper?  The reason I am asking is because I am looking into the plating processes for rebuilding. I am also wondering what is the best way to clean each type of metal.  I think it's going to be a tough learning curve.   I wonder how rochestor got that certain color/look to their carbs.  Cliff, I know you can do the plating. I am wondering how close does your plating look to the original?  Is there a long wait if I need just cleaning/plating?
      The more I get into this, the deeper it gets.  Also, where did you get the sonic cleaner?  I'm sure it was pricey.  I guess i am getting by with chemicals  but I sure would like to have that nice original look.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: what are Q-jets made of?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 05:46:01 AM »
Can't remember the source of supply for the ultrasonic cleaner.

The castings are a mixture of various metals, zinc is among them, lead as well.

The carburetors were given a dip in chromic acid from the factory.  This impregnates the castings and reacts with the lead and zinc.  Since very early carburetors contained more lead in the material, they typically come out darker in appearance.

I still use chromic acid here, there are several other methods to "color" the castings, but I much prefer the original type finish.

We turn recoloring jobs around quickly, typically in about a week.....Cliff

Offline omaha

• Jet Head
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 02:21:30 PM »
thanks for the reply cliff. I appreciate it. I know you are backed up and all so taking the time to answer this forum is very much appreciated.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 02:15:58 AM »
Our ultra sonic cleaner is a Sonicor model 500, nearly as I can remember.  I just use water in it, with a very small amount of Dawn dish soap and about 1/2 a cup of purple degreaser per 5 gallons of water.

I would never go back to dip tanks again, too smelly and don't do nearly as good of a job as the ultra sonic cleaner.......Cliff