Author Topic: What will i see when i drill out caps on mixture screws???  (Read 4021 times)

Offline Mr.Pontiac

• Qjet Hero
What will i see when i drill out caps on mixture screws???
« on: March 14, 2016, 06:26:01 PM »
I was given a really nice 85 Buick- 800 cfm body & base. I would like to remove the metal caps covering the idle screws. So what will i see once caps are removed??? plain old idle mixture screws or something else???

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: What will i see when i drill out caps on mixture screws???
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 02:52:49 AM »
Usually tamper proof screws that require a slotted tool to turn them, but a few were actually hex drive.....Cliff

Offline Mr.Pontiac

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 02:20:52 PM »
Yep i made a slotted tool for removing the idle screws alright. Just a friendly reminder if anybody trys to remove the plugs. I tryed drilling them out, forget it!! drill bit would not touch them. Ended up with a small 3/16 carbide endmill in a small milling machine, once plugs are removed use some penetrating oil on the idle mixture screws really helps. Also once out something that needs to be addressed is the idle mixture screws look to be of a weird size.no.6-48 maybe. my machinist handbook only shows 48 thread for a no.4 i think a no. 4 is to small. Does anybody make idle screw replacmants for these carbs??Looking into it deeper.I want to run a tap down the thread to clean up area into carb. It may also require a extra long special tap because holes are recessed and you cannot get anything to turn the tap once inside. Use caution!! Hope this helps someone out! Rich

Offline 77cruiser

• Qjet Hero
Jim

Offline AnotherMOPAR

• Garage guy
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 09:26:22 PM »
the '88 on my ramcharger had the first mentioned style. I bought a weird posable adjustment tool a while ago that had the 'DD' tip for that kind of screw so i just left them. But it was cast, around plug, plug over needle. If the plug is cut out entirely youre left with the indented area and holes for the adjustment screws. Easy access without emmission stuff in your way while the carb is on even right up front when all is said and done.  ;)

Offline Mr.Pontiac

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 01:49:42 PM »
Thank you 77 cruiser, made my day!!!

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 04:20:47 PM »
the '88 on my ramcharger had the first mentioned style. I bought a weird posable adjustment tool a while ago that had the 'DD' tip for that kind of screw so i just left them. But it was cast, around plug, plug over needle. If the plug is cut out entirely youre left with the indented area and holes for the adjustment screws. Easy access without emmission stuff in your way while the carb is on even right up front when all is said and done.  ;)

I have a tool by Snap-On for that specific idle mixture screw. Part number S6139. Around $13.00, but cheaper on eBay. :)

Here is one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SNAP-ON-TOOLS-1-4-Drive-Double-D-Carburator-Socket-S6139-/182059913196?hash=item2a639dcfec:g:1E4AAOSwvFZW7XzI&item=182059913196&vxp=mtr
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline 77cruiser

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 05:51:47 PM »
I got one of these about 40 yrs. ago. But I don't think you can get em anymore. Here ya go. http://www.amazon.com/KD-Tools-KDT2776-Carburetor-Adjusting/dp/B000TQ4ZQ0
Jim

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 05:37:50 AM »
MR pontiac, i take them plugs out in a different way then most people . i weld a 3/8 washer to the plug with a little mig welder, then i tack a nut to the washer and spin them out. this leaves the carb looking perfect, some people are fussy.this method also works the best for any broken off bolt that is flush with the surface or a little down in the hole .ive used it all the way up to 2 inch bolts . hth

Offline Frank400

• Jet Head
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 04:46:35 PM »
MR pontiac, i take them plugs out in a different way then most people . i weld a 3/8 washer to the plug with a little mig welder, then i tack a nut to the washer and spin them out. this leaves the carb looking perfect, some people are fussy.this method also works the best for any broken off bolt that is flush with the surface or a little down in the hole .ive used it all the way up to 2 inch bolts . hth

I do the exact same thing, looks better than any other method.