Author Topic: Truck driver blues.  (Read 2908 times)

Offline omaha

• Jet Head
Truck driver blues.
« on: January 26, 2010, 02:21:35 PM »
Well, anybody that drives a truck for a living is going to get a bunch of new rules and regulations crammed down their throuts. Everything from sleep apnea testing to driver being responsible for truck defects (for trucks they do not own).  This along with the new diesel fuels (that aint worth a darn-causin loss of fuel mileage) and overcomplicated emission control that greatly escalates the cost of repair and maintenance. Man I do wish for the "old" days.  The thing that pisses me off the most is the fact that there is no data to back-up the need for more saftey regulation. There is data confirming the fact that the trucking industry is getting safer overall as the years go by.  Even with the lack of highway improvements that overcrowd the general driving conditions for all drivers.
    I cannot understand how REDUCING miles per gallon of a big truck can help the enviroment. In an attemp to get back some lost power, the engine manuf. have just increased the size of the engines.
Oh well who would of guessed that overregulation would  occur with the idiots in Washington now (haha).
BTW, the companies don't want any experienced drivers anymore, they would rather have newbie students that can barely speak english. (makes you feel real safe don't it) Professionals cost too much. It is a good question; will we ever learn??

Offline jamesF

• Global Moderator
  • Carb lover
Re: Truck driver blues.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 05:09:46 PM »
Recently the state of California imposed new filters on all trucks. These filters cost $20,000 and up. They imposed the law at the first of the year suddenly, and  the next day 100's of trucks were then not allowed into the Port Of Oakland the next morning as they did not comply with the new filters.  All kinds of drivers are losing work because they cant drive onto any facility that is run by a government entity here. I think thats they deal... Sounds rough...

Offline omaha

• Jet Head
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 11:04:47 AM »
        I have read (truckers news) that trucks without a computer operated engine (basically 87 and older) are not allowed into the port in Long Beach. (containerized shipping mostly), I am assuming that the deal in oakland is probably due to a "particulate" type of filter.  I'll ask around about it. It's getting out of hand and the worst part is that drivers are making the same money that they made back in 1990.
          I just drive local in the Omaha area. I am driving a dinosaur, It's an '84 Freightliner cabover "glider kit". That means that someone just bought a cab and framerails and swapped in their old engine/drivetrain (back in '84). The engine in my truck is an old 400 cummins of  1974 vintage along with the original 74 trans and rears.  It's actually the most reliable of the company fleet. I haul portland in a bulk tanker for a local concrete co.
     I want to get out of this trucking deal altogether someday. The 'soul' is gone from the job, I feel, at least for me anyway. I'm sure there are alot of old timers feeling the same way. Oh well, maybe this sideline business building carbs will "take off" some day. Cant wait 'til spring when the swap meets and shows start.  I've had enough of this winter already!!

Offline Chili Palmer

• Garage guy
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 01:50:47 AM »
Hey omaha, who do you drive for if you don't mind me asking?

I live in the Boise, ID area now but grew up in Omaha. Drove OTR for Hirschback out of South Sioux City, did some local foodservice stuff (Midwest Foods - now defunct), drove for Ruan (after Midwest went under) and I did some stuff with the old man when he was an O/O at Morehouse. I've been out of a truck for 8 years now (New Years Eve 2002) and have been seriously thinking about getting back in one, currently hold a "professional job" that's losing it's charm...