Author Topic: Can the Qjet be used as a blow through carb?  (Read 7021 times)

Offline SRB

Can the Qjet be used as a blow through carb?
« on: February 03, 2010, 07:16:41 PM »
Hello all
     Has or can the Qjet be used in a blow through turbo setup?   TIA

Steve

Offline omaha

• Jet Head
Re: Can the Qjet be used as a blow through carb?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 11:32:53 PM »
yes, just recently I have seen this in one of the car mags. Will look for it. Any way. some mods were required. One that I remember had to do with the spring on the secondary throttle shaft. It had to be done away with. (seems the boost was overcoming the spring pressure. I think this was on a pontiac motor in a firebird.)

Offline SRB

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 03:08:24 PM »
omaha
     Any luck finding that article?   I'm thinking about the STS Turbo system for my El Camino with a 500 Cad motor.   TIA

Steve

Offline omaha

• Jet Head
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2010, 10:29:20 PM »
wow, I am going through my mags right now. I have moved them from their storage and am having some difficulties. The only thing I got going for me is that I KNOW that it was a recent mag. You wouldn't believe how many mags I got.

Offline omaha

• Jet Head
Re: I FOUND THE ARTICLE!
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 01:25:34 AM »
     I FOUNDTHE ARTICLE!!   But it is not in a magazine,  it is on the CarCraft web site. I think it is listed as Pontiac 400 turbo build. (etc)  It is very recent so it should be easy to find. It is in the "tech article" section of the site.  They stroked a 400 bloch to 489 and ended up with like 700+ ft.lbs. and over 600 hp. This is blowing through an original Q-jet with  mods of course. The guy who built the motor is Ken Crocie I believe (famed pontiac builder) of HO Enterprises.  The crazy thing is that the motor only used like 7 or 8 lbs. of boost to make the numbers and made over 700 ft.lbs (way over) at only 3500 (I think). Mods to the carb are listed in the article. References are listed so I guess you could call the guy for more info.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 01:30:45 AM by omaha »

Offline omaha

• Jet Head
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 01:44:46 AM »
sorry, [I only know enough about computers to be dangerous]In that last post I made, there was a mistake, the engine made 537 HP, not over 600.  (wish I knew more about computers, then I could read the article and make this post at the same time!) I think I need a 5th grader to hire as a trainer.

Online 77cruiser

• Qjet Hero
Jim