Author Topic: Leftovers from rebuild kit  (Read 3498 times)

Offline stevef

• Carb lover
Leftovers from rebuild kit
« on: February 19, 2010, 04:39:48 PM »
I rebushed and rebuilt my carb with Cliff's kits. And it runs better, so that's good.

I have some leftovers items from the kit, which always makes me nervous that I left something out. But, I didn't see a use for them during the rebuild so wanted to ask what they're for.

I've provide a pic below:

The kit came with 2 of the black ones. It's the left one...it's hollow, with a closed side and an open side. It's the seal for the hole in the main body where the shaft out of the back of the choke goes thru. So I put one there, but what is the 2nd one for? 

Then, there's a small white plastic bushing with a split in it. Where would that go?

And where would the small round cork gasket go?

« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 04:41:41 PM by stevef »

Offline stevef

• Carb lover
Re: Leftovers from rebuild kit
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 05:54:38 PM »
And one other thing about the rebuild kit. It came with 2 air horn to main body gaskets. One was thicker than the other. I used the one that was thicker, since that was closer to the thickness of the old gasket. Is thickness the reason for having 2 of the same gasket in the kit and does the thickness make a difference?

Offline omaha

• Jet Head
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 06:45:02 PM »
      The white one with the split is for the top of the power valve. Youve got to split the old one to remove it.  Also, there is a seal in the actual choke housing ( the "round tub" that holds the choke coil)  You must remove the choke coil from the housing then you will notice a little weighted lever the is held on with a straight drive screw. (under where the choke coil was) Remove the screw and the lever (remembering the orientation of said lever, it can go on 2 ways) Now you will be able to remove the shaft from the choke housing. Where the shaft goes through the choke housing is the other seal. Remember the orientation of everything cause it is a bit confusing with all the levers weights and fast idle cam.                                       I am not sure about the little round cork gasket but maybe it is for carbs that are equipped with adjustable air bleeds.  (just a guess on that last one)

Offline stevef

• Carb lover
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 07:12:08 PM »
By power valve, is that the same as the power piston? I didn't take it apart. I just lifted it out, cleaned it a bit and put it back in. So, I guess that would explain why I have the white one left.

And I didn't take the choke housing and associated levers apart either. I just put a new seal in the main body hole and put the choke housing assembly back on. Actually, I swapped on an electric choke assembly from a spare q-jet. I did plug the vac hole in the main body before putting the electric on. So, that would explain why a black one is left over.

That just leaves the cork gasket. And the question about the 2 air horn gaskets.

Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 07:14:11 PM by stevef »

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 03:28:59 AM »
We provide a thick gasket for most models, it should be used if you don't have a good fit between the two parts (warped casting/airhorn).  If the carb is in good shape, the stock thickness gasket is fine.

The cork goes under the HIC (Hot Idle Compensator) in the rear of the carb under the metal cover.

HIC was not used on all models, so you may not have needed it.

No need to take the choke housing apart to replace the seal if you upgraded to an electric choke, as long as the parts move freely without binding/sticking, etc......Cliff

PS:  did you block the vacuum supply in the main casting to the choke housing?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 06:22:10 AM by Cliff Ruggles »

Offline stevef

• Carb lover
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 06:18:22 AM »
Hi Cliff. Yes, I tapped the vac hole in the main casting with 10-32 and cut off a short length of a screw, slotted it and screwed it in.

Good to know about the airhorn gaskets. And it didn't have an HIC, so that explains the cork gasket left.

So, it's good to know I didn't leave anything out that I needed.

After doing this q-jet, and having a few questions answered, the next one will be much easier. Thanks!