Author Topic: Resizing Pictures - Posting pictures  (Read 11945 times)

Offline jamesF

• Global Moderator
  • Carb lover
Resizing Pictures - Posting pictures
« on: April 06, 2010, 10:44:01 AM »
Regarding Pictures

ADDING THUMBNAIL PICTURES THAT CAN BE CLICKED ON AND ENLARGED
You can add pictures right to your post as Thumbnails that can clicked on and expanded. These are added at the bottom of your post. You can do this while posting or modifying a post by choosing "Additional Options" underneath the box where you type your post.
Clicking on that reveals an ATTACH: field.
Select "Browse" and find the image on your computer and select OPEN.
If you want to add more then 1, select "more attachments"

*note you can also upload .txt files, some videos, pdf's etc..

We don't allow HUGE pictures in order to save space on the server, so we recommend you resize really large pictures first. Here is a good way to do that on a Windows PC:

RESIZING IMAGES
if you are using Windows XP you can download and use this free simple Image ReSizer made by Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx

Look on that page. The link to download it is 5th from the bottom on the right side. CAlled " imageresizer.exe"
http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/ImageResizerPowertoySetup.exe

Once you run that installer, it is now a part of your "Right Click" menu. It works great and is simple..

- You open the folder where the picture you want to make a smaller copy of is (or multiples), and whether you are viewing the folder in Thumbnail mode or Detail mode (List type view), if you mouse over the file and Right Click, one of your choices is now Resize Pictures. you just select the size and it saves a copy in that new size!

Here is the version for vista. Works the same
http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

PICTURES IN POSTS
If you want to include LARGE images right inside your post, then you need to Link to the location of the image on the internet somewhere.

You can do this by uploading your pictures somewhere on the 'net such as a photosharing site or on your own website. Or by finding an image and capturing the address of the image.  IN either case if you can see the image on the internet you can usually add it to a post. Most photosharing sites also include a means of copying the address and using it for this purpose. Here are some tips:

In Internet Explorer (depending on version) you can do this by right clicking on an image that you are looking at on the Internet and "Right Clicking" your mouse. Choose the option Copy Shortcut from the choices that are displayed.
In FireFox this same feature is called "Copy Image Location"

Then come back to your post and place the cursor where you want the image, It's a good idea to add a Line Return by hitting ENTER before and after the image code.

Then choose the little Picture Frame icon above the post box. It's the second little Icon from the left above the smiley faces. That will put some gibberish in your post that looks like:
 [ img] [/img ]

Place your cursor between the 2 little snippets and paste the URL (web address) that was copied when you chose "Copy Shortcut" while you had your mouse over the picture.

*note you can test to see if the address you copied is the correct address for the picture by pasting it into a web browser address bar. You shuld be able to see only the image in the browser if you hit ENTER or GO.

That should display the image.
One issue with that... if that image is ever moved or the name is changed, the link will stop working..

Hope that Helps, Let me know if you need any more info.

James
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 07:45:52 AM by jamesF »

Offline motorvation2go

• Garage guy
Re: Resizing Pictures - Posting pictures
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 08:50:57 PM »
Hi James,
     I wonder (when reading the great info provided) why I'm reminded of an 'old' Simpson's episode, with Marge trying her best to give Homer some much needed advice.
Homer does see her lips moving, but only hears: 'blah, blah, blah, blah... blah blah blah'!  ;D
Seriously... thanks for the link James!   8)
We'll see if maybe, just maybe... 'He' is (one day?) able to digest it.
Cheers.

Offline jamesF

• Global Moderator
  • Carb lover
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 07:10:59 AM »
Chocolate.....
That's what hes thinking when he daydreams... I do that too...
Let me know if you need help.

Offline Burd

• Carb lover
  • Deep in the Ghetto
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 06:46:15 PM »
When I try to,pupp a pic from my de isle, it says the toe isn’t allowed.  By simply adding other file permissions, that would prob do it ?
I’m also using the same SMF software on my Forum. 
1978 YEE
1995 Q45
F ire
B irds