Author Topic: velocity stacks  (Read 3031 times)

Offline dlong70elcamino

• Garage guy
velocity stacks
« on: August 17, 2017, 03:53:19 PM »
Hey Cliff hope all is well with you. Been hearing some chatter bout running velocity stacks on 4 bbl carbs adding hp what are your thoughts on it and have done any dyno testing with them.  Thanks   Dan...........

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: velocity stacks
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2017, 02:53:36 AM »
Might work OK if you have a big hole in the hood to accommodate one.....

Offline dlong70elcamino

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 03:47:31 PM »
Bought one that is 4 1/4" tall i,m gonna try it at the track at the Dragway 42 Rock&Race this weekend see if it runs any better. Clears my hood by 2"tried to send ya a pic but said file was too big.Have you had your car to the track this season? so far this season I got the Camino down to a 13.09@103 mph trying to get that 12 sec pass it,s tough lol

Offline von

• Carb lover
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 01:47:07 AM »
Better air density the next few days should help by itself. You really need to do an A-B-A test to see if the velocity stack helps or not.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 02:35:34 AM »
Every 1000' decrease in DA will be about a tenth improvement in ET, provided traction is good.

Make sure you are filtering the incoming air, would hate to see a tiny stone get sucked into the engine during the testing.......Cliff

Offline dlong70elcamino

• Garage guy
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 05:41:25 PM »
Ya Cliff it's got 2 screens and a foam filter that goes in it. I also took out the block off plate from the back of my cowl hood co it can pull cool air from the cowl area. So I guess we will see.

Offline dlong70elcamino

• Garage guy
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2017, 01:19:46 PM »
Update Cliff weather was perfect for Rock&Race air was good low 70s low humidity. Car hated the velocity stack slowed way down 13.47@100. Took stack off and with cowl hood open in the back is what it loved pulling cool air from back of hood and no ducting to carb just open it finally ran a 12sec pass 12.94@104 mph😊  Boy I was pumped. Been working all season to get it. So pulling cowl air inducted does really work. That 750 Qjet on my stock bore 350 is working awesome the way you told me to set it up. It never hesitated and the car is super consistent. Added some weight in fuel and it ran a 13.06-06-05-04. Thank again for good parts and advice. Qjet power👍👍......... Dan

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 03:10:57 AM »
Good news.

I also run a factory induction system off the windshield on my 73 Ventura.  Years ago I robbed the hood and Shaker parts from a 1974 GTO and it has been flawless.

The only issues I've had is when I tried to run a taller PM intake which required a shorter air cleaner element.  It hated that deal, so I used a shorter Shaker instead.  It never ran any better than the stock intake if as good, so I went back to the stock parts instead.

I was actually quite surprised that the factory intake (ported) runs as good as if not a tad better than the much larger rpm intake.  You'd think the big 455 would like the bigger intake, but it kills off some low end power and doesn't 60' as good.

Last outing netter 1.59-1.61 60' times and 7.18 in the 1/8th mile at 95mph.  The big rpm intake typically runs 1.63-1.64 60' and 7.20-7.30's in the 1/8th mile at 95-96mph.  So you trade a little low end for stronger top and it still doesn't run any quicker.

Keep in mind that this is on the big 455 with CNC ported aluminum heads and 11 to 1 compression.  I see all sorts of aftermarket aluminum intakes on much smaller engines making half the power.  I'll bet the factory intakes even unported would be quicker on those engines as well........Cliff