Author Topic: 7041264 for use on a 68 GTO  (Read 1364 times)

Offline dataway

• Garage guy
7041264 for use on a 68 GTO
« on: November 08, 2017, 08:04:34 PM »
I've got an NOS 7041264 that I might want to use on my being built 68 GTO, auto. Not quite correct ... but might be close enough for now.

Been sitting on a shelf for 40+ years. Slight surface rust on the steel parts, but in great shape.

I have gathered that the bowl vent will have a problem with an original 68 air cleaner base ... another other issues I might have?

I realize it will need to be rebuilt. I have Cliff's book, and would get parts from Cliff. This is a stock build ... I assume I could have him add any parts that would tailor the tuning of this later model carb to a stock 68 400 auto trans.

I'm pretty handy in the garage, not a stranger to carbs, but I am to Q-jets. Any suggestions for best course of action?

I've heard something has to be epoxied up .... rocket science? Or average guy stuff?
Thanks,
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 08:10:14 PM by dataway »

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: 7041264 for use on a 68 GTO
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 03:36:12 AM »
The 7041264 is an excellent unit and superior to the 1968 Pontiac carburetors in many ways.

The air cleaner base will require a matching hole and seal for the large front vent tube.  Choke parts are the same location, linkage should be fine, vacuum ports, etc.

Provide the engine/drivetrain/vehicle specs when you order the parts and we'll include tuning parts as well as those were emission calibrated and probably going to be a bit lean for what you are doing......Cliff

Offline dataway

• Garage guy
Re: 7041264 for use on a 68 GTO
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 12:45:25 AM »
Excellent ... it's for sale now, but probably won't sell for the price I put on it. I got it for $75 ... so I have room to make it right.

I think I'll go with it. Gotta find the time to read your book like I should. Might even just send it to you for the work since .. money wise I'm ahead of the game.

In fact I think I'll take it down tomorrow and use it ... I'll get a later model air cleaner base to modify.

This stuff is voodoo to most of us .. but I know these carb ran for years in OEM applications without issues. Good enough for me.