Author Topic: Adjusting Electric Choke  (Read 1307 times)

Offline 55 Tony

• Garage guy
Adjusting Electric Choke
« on: September 18, 2017, 08:25:19 AM »
Is it all trial and error or is there a certain amount to tighten the choke after it closes?  The garage and engine will be about 70 degrees.

Also, my choke seems to open too fast.  Would a new electric choke fix that?  Or I had an idea to add a ballast resistor like from the coil inline with the choke +12 vdc.  I have one somewhere around here, don't use it with the MSD dizzy.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Adjusting Electric Choke
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 03:21:09 AM »
The new ones that we sell are actually a correct part for the Q-jet carburetor.  They "clock" correctly with the electrical terminal down and have a line on them to help set them in the correct position.

Most choke housings will be marked with a longer line in the center and smaller lines to the right and left of it.  Left of center is "rich" or choke stays on longer, right of center is lean and choke opens quicker.

There were literally dozens of different electric chokes used on factory q-jets, and even more electric choke currently being sold for them.  Most are NOT even for a q-jet, and will not clock correctly or work correctly from what I've seen here.

In any case the time required for the choke to open is dependent on where you set it and also how cold it is in the engine compartment.  I always start with the choke set to where it just closes the flap completely when cold, then do a cold start to see if the engine likes the opening rate.

Engines with heated intake manifolds will like the choke coming off sooner in most cases.  If you have a cold intake with blocked exhaust crossovers, or none at all, it's going to like to be on longer.

Carb tuning plays a role here as well, the leaner your settings the longer the engine will enjoy the choke flap closed.  Engines with long warm up times will also like the choke closed longer, so every application is basically going to be a little different.......Cliff