Author Topic: recommendations for a tow vehicle.  (Read 3637 times)

Offline omaha

• Jet Head
recommendations for a tow vehicle.
« on: October 15, 2017, 11:08:24 PM »
I have kind of been looking around for a pickup. 2 wheel drive and at least a 3/4 ton. Was looking today at a '92 chevy ext. cab long box automatic trans. Not in too bad of shape, has the normal rust in the cab corners and minor dents. Nice interior. It has the 5.7 with the throttle body injection. 14 bolt rearend, not sure of the gear ratio. I went for a test drive and was only mildly impressed. Of course with 170,000 miles I'm sure the engine was somewhat tired. not a lot of power. the trans shifted wonderfully. Is this truck capable of towing a car trailer on a regular basis with somewhat heavier loads. 5000 lbs for example.  The guy wants 1400 dollars obo. [did I mention I don't have a lot to spend]. Need advice cause I am not real "hip" with the GM pickups. [hard to find a dodge out here that's not a 4wd]. I also found a real nice 86 chevy 3/4 ton for the same price but it has the truck manual trans. 4 speed. Is the small block chevy good for a tow vehicle.

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
Re: recommendations for a tow vehicle.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 07:06:11 PM »
how hilly is your country?ive seen the 92 your talking about run 300,000 I'm not a chevy guy but my buddies have them . you said your only pulling 5000. should do just fine .fwiw