Author Topic: Dual 17080562 Carbs both dripping fuel down from venturi's  (Read 1581 times)

Offline 1793eggharbor350s

Dual 17080562 Carbs both dripping fuel down from venturi's
« on: November 16, 2017, 12:39:00 PM »
I just bought this 1973 Egg Harbor with two mercruiser 350s and am having some quite strange issues.  The engines will run great for about 30 minutes until they warm up and will both shut off at idle. After going through the ignition and fuel systems I noticed that there is gas dripping into the primaries from the venturi's, on both carbs!  We had the carbs rebuilt by a professional and the problem persists.  The engine smells to be running really rich, I believe to be from the dripping fuel.

Both of these carbs are clean as a whistle.  The float level is correct and the issues continues after a second rebuild.  I have read this issues could be caused by a few different things but I don't understand why this is happening on both carbs! Unfortunately there have been a multiple "mechanics" working on this boat in the last year, none with any success.   Any ideas?? 

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Dual 17080562 Carbs both dripping fuel down from venturi's
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 02:08:50 AM »
Marine carburetors are not emission calibrated so very generous for fuel delivery.  It doesn't take much for them to pull fuel from the boosters and many big blocks will pull some fuel from there even when the carbs are correctly set up, but you would still have some control with the mixture screws to establish good idle quality.

Marine carbs didn't use idle bypass air either, so will pull fuel easily from the boosters if the throttle angle is too high or there isn't enough fuel at the mixture screws.

If you don't have any control at all with the mixture screws I'd start by making sure the idle system is clean and idle tubes have been removed and correctly cleaned/sized.  If they are plugged up any at all the throttle angle required to get them to idle will cause most of or all of the fuel to come from the boosters, not from the idle mixture screw holes under the throttle plates.

A few other things that we've seen cause this issue are retarded ignition timing, stretched timing chains, or engines built at some point with an aftermarket camshaft that doesn't make enough vacuum at idle speed like the original Marine cams.

Using brass floats instead of the correct large Marine floats can be a problem, and too much fuel pressure as well. 

Another problem we've seen in recent years is that all of the over the counter kits for them will NOT have the correct Marine high flow N/S assembly, and many don't have the correct Marine pump in them either.  This may not be part of the idle problem, but for sure if you haven't used the correct parts to build them there will be other issues as well.......Cliff