Author Topic: first timer don't want to break my first carb  (Read 3058 times)

Offline David89k

• Garage guy
first timer don't want to break my first carb
« on: December 09, 2017, 10:17:08 PM »
Hello all, I'm new to the world of carberation. I just bought a 78 k25 and installed a new manual fuel pump and couldn't get it to prime. I rigged and hund a fuel supply and managed to get the truck to start. So here's the problem the truck will only run on idel. I have to use starter fluid for it to start doesn't matter how many times I pump the pedel. Second problem if I rev the truck it will to a point if I go slow and when I come back to idel I will just die I even tried turning up the idel. I tried you tube but I don't know where to start. U think I'm missing parts for the choke and secondary. would appreciate any help I've dreamed of owning this truck sense childhood. Almost forgot I have no idea what vacuum line goes where they were not hooked up when I got the truck
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 10:32:43 PM by David89k »

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: first timer don't want to break my first carb
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 03:15:11 AM »
What is the carburetor part number?

Some under the hood pics of your set-up would also help if you have the ability to put them up here......Cliff

Offline David89k

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 09:05:29 AM »
4mv This is the model of my qjet if you need other information please let me know where it is so I can also learn what to look for. I can't upload pics I keep getting an error saying file size to large.

Offline David89k

• Garage guy
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 09:11:59 AM »
More Pics coming

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 05:45:06 AM »
What is the part number?

It is located drivers side of the main casting just above the secondary throttle shaft. 

Should be something like 17058213, which is a very common number for the 1978 non CA emissions truck units.

From what I see in the pick the choke link/parts are there as is the link up to the secondaries.  It may be missing a vacuum tube on that side of the carb, pretty sure they used one coming out the lower corner of the choke pull-off bracket.......Cliff

Offline David89k

• Garage guy
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 06:25:47 PM »
The part number is 10758213
I put the carb back on the truck today. It started without using starting fluid ran well for a few minutes very sluggish the truck was able to run and drive but their is something wrong. I noticed fuel next to the accelerater pump and I tried to manually open the choke it helped but seemed to want more fuel I had to pump the throttle in order to get the rpm up at that point I had a very low idel and the truck would die upon using the throttle. I tried to close the choke again even though the motor was hot and that just stalled the truck. Although I think my clutch may be on it's way out but this carb needs help none the less. Thanks guys.

Offline David89k

• Garage guy
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 06:40:24 PM »
Here's what I could get for pics if you need a different shot let me know keep in mind the carb is on the truck now.

Offline David89k

• Garage guy
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 06:41:33 PM »
Have to do the shots one at a time

Offline David89k

• Garage guy
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 06:42:26 PM »
Number 3

Offline David89k

• Garage guy
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 06:43:28 PM »
Number 4

Offline David89k

• Garage guy
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 06:44:52 PM »
This is a pain in the rear

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 02:56:31 AM »
The carburetors is correct for the application, and asides from possibly missing a vacuum port by the choke looks to be pretty much complete.

Next step it to give it a complete/correct rebuild.  We have the correct kit to do that, or we can do it for you......Cliff

Offline David89k

• Garage guy
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 12:48:26 PM »
I have a rebuild kit coming from advance Auto. I know the kit comes with instructions but I've never done a carb before and I'm nervous I'll screw something up. How much would I be looking at for you to rebuild it cliff?

Offline blazer74

• Carb lover
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 03:50:25 PM »
You'll get a much better and additional parts with,  such as a new float with one of CLIFFS kits.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 04:48:42 AM »
Send it back and get one of our SR rebuild kits here:

https://cliffshighperformance.com/Quadrajet-rebuild-kits-and-quadrajet-parts/category/quadrajet-rebuild-kits

The cheap kit from Advance Auto parts will not come with a new closed cell nitrophyl float, fuel filter w/spring, complete ethanol compatible accl pump with new springs, secondary plastic cam/spring, thicker/improved material main body to airhorn gasket, 1/4" thick non-stick carb to intake gasket, new power piston retainer, and correct diameter Viton needle/seat assembly.

Basically those kits are "generic" and very low quality parts.  Good results start with good parts and correct settings.  No need to doom the project before you get started on it.

I'll add here that at least 1/3rd of what we do here is have folks send us troubled carburetors that were just "rebuilt" or "restored" elsewhere. 

Besides some shoddy craftsmanship and lack of attention to detail, 9 out of 10 were assembled with cheap parts and almost every single one the cheap "blue" pump seal had already failed.......FWIW......Cliff