Author Topic: Pontiac RAIII and RAIV casting numbers  (Read 2053 times)

Offline 4ever18

• Carb lover
Pontiac RAIII and RAIV casting numbers
« on: February 21, 2018, 05:46:27 AM »
Can anyone tell me the correct casting numbers for 69 and 70 Pontiac RAIII and RAIV throttle body, fuel. bowl and air horn? Thanks!

Offline unruhjonny

• Carb lover
Re: Pontiac RAIII and RAIV casting numbers
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 03:19:59 PM »
With the continuing fakes out there, the consensus is that most of this information is generally tightly guarded...

That being said, OEM versus service replacement castings do slightly differ;
Did you want someone to try to ID a carb being auctioned to tell you if it's phoney or not?

I have been trying to collect much of this information on my own for years now...

Offline 4ever18

• Carb lover
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 08:13:09 AM »
I'm a 73 year old "geezer who's been rebuilding and restoring Quadrajets for over 50 years.  The casting number data base you've put together could be very useful.  Is it something you would share?
Thanks,
Jay Justesen

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 03:21:43 AM »
No, I do not provide this information as folks will use it to "re-stamp" standard castings for personal gain and to deceive folks looking for those units....sorry.

Just go on Ebay and do a search for a "Ram Air" Pontiac carb.  Nearly all if not all of those are fakes no matter what they tell you.  The real ones seldom make it on Ebay, and if/when they do sell very quickly unless the seller is WAY too high on the asking price......Cliff

Offline 4ever18

• Carb lover
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 08:00:39 AM »
Cliff,
Please, take no offense, but casting numbers on individual Q-Jet ZMAC parts really can

Offline 4ever18

• Carb lover
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 05:16:41 AM »
Somehow my message got cut off.  I was saying that the casting number are

Offline unruhjonny

• Carb lover
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2018, 02:51:05 PM »
Respectfully Cliff, I think there are probably more legit RA casting on ePay than you elluded to.

a newbie like me only needs to watch, pick up on what to look for, and see listings whihc are suspiciously low to discern the stinkers from the real ones.

I have not observed anyone trying to fake casting numbers - one of the last terrible fakes I saw had an Oldsmobile throttle body (which was easy to discern with the "O"), and I think even an Oldsmobile fuel bowl...

I wish the scourge who restamp carbs would disappear....

@ 4ever18;
A part of the problem is that there are other castings which use the same fuel bowls;
in some cases the RA fuel bowl is simply a measure of how that part was finish machined - versus a 'lowly' full sized automatic application carb.

share a link, and I can tell you if it's legit.

I have put ALOT of time and research into my numbers stuff - so I am not terribly incline to simply give it away.

Offline 4ever18

• Carb lover
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 04:06:06 AM »
Thanks "Garageguy".  I understand your reluctance to part with this information.  However, sharing it with someone else who can expand on it and in turn help others isn't a bad option.  As I said earlier, I am 73 years old and I've been rebuilding and restoring Q-Jets since 1968.  I worked for Pontiac Motors in Pontiac MI and loved every minute of it.  I was in plant engineering for plant 9 which was the engine plant and "oh the things I've seen!"

If there comes a time that you'd consider sharing, please let me know.  I agree with you that I don't think there are that many restampers out there and the idiots who try do such a lousy job that it's usually very easy to tell.

Is it allowable on this forum to share email addresses?  I'd like to talk to you further.

Thanks