Author Topic: Confusing 17080213 pulloff link  (Read 1514 times)

Offline silverminer

• Garage guy
Confusing 17080213 pulloff link
« on: April 18, 2018, 09:12:29 AM »
I've just completed rebuilding my latest Qjet with Cliff's parts, but now I'm stumped on setting the choke system up correctly. It is a 17080213 bought as a junkyard core with both a front and rear pulloff, and I seem to be missing the linkage for the front pulloff.

But more importantly, even if I had the linkage I'm not at all sure what the heck it is supposed to connect to. The rear pulloff has two rods, the outer rod to the secondary flap and the inner going to the fast idle cam. I've attached a photo showing things as they sit now with a red line indicating my question area. Thanks for any help!

Offline Ethan1

• Qjet Hero
Re: Confusing 17080213 pulloff link
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 10:12:08 AM »
 I know this may sound odd, but I don't think anything goes their. Normally they run to the secondary air valve bracket, but yours is taken up. So, your secondary air valves must be running off the secondary dashpot. I had a 0213 and 0212 and none of them had the linkage either. It's odd for sure. If you look at pics online, you don't see it either. It may have been eliminated at that time.
Ethan

1972 Chevelle

(oo______oo)

Offline silverminer

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 02:05:41 PM »
Ethan - thanks for the reply, and I'm confident you are correct - the front pulloffs for these series of carbs did not have linkages attached. The purpose of the pulloff appears to be only to constrain the fast idle cam under certain conditions. If my unit had not come with an uncertain history from a junkyard, I would never have had any doubts. None of the photos online show a linkage, but unless it comes from here I don't believe much of what I see about Quadrajets on the internet.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 02:11:33 AM »
Starting in 1979 many truck Q-jets will use the secondary pull-off for both functions, to unload the choke and control the secondary air flap shaft.  The front pull-off then becomes the secondary pull-off instead of the other way around.....Cliff