Author Topic: Seconary rod suggestion?  (Read 4342 times)

Offline 55 Tony

• Garage guy
Seconary rod suggestion?
« on: April 28, 2018, 07:24:04 AM »
I have a 17084226 on a 454 with a Comp "hot street machine" 11-450-8 cam and compression ratio is somewhere above 10:1, (I didn't know about CCing the heads till after it was together.)  Cranking compression is 210psi in all cylinders.  The cam actually calls for only 9.5:1.  It runs pretty darn good.  I can't find my notes on what the current primary jets and rods are, but the primary is pretty good according the the A/F gauge.  At WOT it's about 13.5:1 - 14:1 and I'd like to get that closer to 12.5:1  Also, it has old iron 781 heads.  I don't know how/if the higher compression effects target A/F ratio.  If it matters, I have headers and an Edlebrock manifold.
The current secondary rods are DP's.  A bit fat but I guess the short power tips are helping at WOT.  So I'd like a suggestion on what rods to try to get richer.  Laying around I have sets of:
CE, DH, CK, and CC's.  The hanger is a J but who knows if it's been bent.  I have a few other hangers, I know I bent one so I'd be willing to bend it to what ever is needed.
I won't be able to test this real soon because the rear is out to get new ends on it to get rid of the C-clips, and I'm changing from 3.42 to 4.10 gears.  I'm real excited about trying those gears out! :)  I bought some slicks and have been to a local track that was just re-opened after being closed for years.  They don't even have a tree or anything to time you at the moment, but it's only $20 to get in and it's good for a rookie like me who has never drag raced before.  When I took the rear apart I found that I had twisted an axle, they are only 30 spline but I've been told by quite a few people that I must have had bad axles.  The other axle wore where the bearing rode on it.
Sorry for the lost post, just tried to give all the info you may need.
Tony

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Seconary rod suggestion?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 03:26:56 AM »
I'd try the CE metering rods, they are smaller than the DP's and will fatten it up a bit at full throttle.  Also make sure that you are using a high flow N/S assembly and adequate fuel delivery to the carb or the results may not be as expected.......Cliff

Offline 55 Tony

• Garage guy
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 05:14:42 AM »
Thanks Cliff, I'll do that.  I have the large needle and seat so all is OK there.  Otherwise the carb is pretty good, I can always go from idle to full throttle without the slightest bog and it's not too slow to open either.

When I rebuilt the motor, the guy helping me got me to advance the cam 2 degree's.  I asked some if I should change it to straight up and they said no, by now the chain has stretched so it probably is straight up.  I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.  As I mentioned, the cranking compression is real close to 210psi in all cylinders.  I don't suppose you can guesstimate by looks how many CC's these 781 heads are?  It also appears that it's been decked also, but again I didn't know to measure that until AFTER it was together and in the car.

Offline 73ss

• Carb lover
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 05:09:11 PM »
I've seen online anywhere between 119~122cc for 781 & 049 heads. I'm running a set of 781's and when I had them done I had the shop check them and they came out at 114. This is after I had them cut. They may also have been cut before I got them.

210 psi seems quite high. Does it rattle or ping? I'm assuming having the cam advanced is causing some of it. What cc dome on your pistons? You can look up the part number and find out.

I have a 20cc dome and a .024" head gasket and mine comes out to 9.8:1 compression using one of the compression calculators. I've got around 165 psi cranking compression. The piston is 20 in the hole. This is before I knew any better.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 03:45:31 AM »
210 cranking pressure seems very high for that cam in a 454 with 10 to 1 compression. 

Was the cam just advanced 2 degrees from straight up, or advanced after it was degrees 2 more degrees?

Comp specs out the cam at 290 degrees seat timing with 232 @ .050" on a 110LSA. 

In a 454CID engine at 10 to 1 or a tad higher compression I'd expect around 170-180psi cranking pressure based on the engine builds I've done here with similar parts......Cliff

Offline 55 Tony

• Garage guy
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 02:30:53 PM »
The cam was advanced 2 degrees total.

I run 92 or 93 octane, no knocks or pings although it doesn't like lower octane at all.  Actually using a compression calculator guessing at the head cc's and guessing how much it's been decked, it said somewhere close to 10.25:1.  But I *think* the two guesses where on the conservative side, that's why I showed the heads pictures.  I thought someone who has seen a lot of 781's could guess mostly be how close to the valve the surface is.  I'd love to see the same shot of a new 781 head.  The second pic is really hard to see what I'm trying to show, but I'm trying to show how close the head surface is to the adjacent rough casting that isn't milled.  If the head got shaved much more, that entire rough cast area would be milled too.

I found this in my notes.
Piston volume  -25.70cc
head gasket   .039 ... I think?
Was told it was milled considerably.  From what I found on the net, they were 118cc new.
bored .030 over.
Decked, but I don't have any numbers on that.
I have checked the compression with another gauge that was the rubber push and hold type.  It read about 180psi and then I couldn't hold it tight enough and the pressure would push the gauge out of the hole.

It's quite a difference from the old flat top pistons with a chamfered edge, then it had about 140 psi.  And that is with the same gauge I'm using now.

I don't have a measurement for what ever it's called, the piston down in the cylinder, but I can say that with clay on the piston to check for valve clearance, it was getting sort of close to the minimum, whatever that is/was.

I don't see the numbers for the rockers I used, but I recall that they lift a bit higher than stock rockers, whatever that ratio is.

Pistons are speed pro L2465F30 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-l2465f30

I don't know why, but even though I checked  "notify me of replies", I don't get an email.  I just happened to check in here and saw the new replies.

Offline 68rs/ss

• Garage guy
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 03:28:22 PM »
In a 454CID engine at 10 to 1 or a tad higher compression I'd expect around 170-180psi cranking pressure based on the engine builds I've done here with similar parts......Cliff

Cliff. Can you share some of your secrets on the 454 builds you have done? I will be replacing my 350  with a 454 with stock 781 heads in the future. Cam choice, pistons used, head mods, intake and of course, Q-jet needed. Street car.
Phil

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 03:34:16 AM »
For all engines built here we take steps to establish very tight quench in them.  The target is .035" and never over .040" for any reason.

The parts used to build them would depend on the goals for the project and power level needed.

For a truck 454 we'd keep the compression ratio a bit lower and smaller cam on a wide LSA.

I typically don't use aftermarket intakes on most builds, the factory iron ones are fine, even the "flat" intakes that came on a lot of 454's.  From idle to 5000rpm's it difficult to outrun one of those intakes with anything in the aftermarket, plus they keep things low for plenty of hood clearance in many applications that need it.

The factory Q-jets that came on the Big Block Chevy engines are excellent, all years aside the pre-1969 models.  Those have the early hinge pin location and large float, so if the engine is going to be making big power a later carb would be a better choice.

Big Block Chevy engines in all configurations have tremendous potential to make power, and excellent parts selection for them.

For a "max-effort" pump gas street build we will usually start with the passenger car oval port heads, install 2.19/1.88" valves in them, a little clean up in the bowls, under the valves and short turns.  I'll target the compression ratio around 10 to 10.5 to 1, then use a cam with pretty long seat timing, and 112 or 114LSA.  Crower makes a cam (can't remember the part number at the moment) around 234/244 @.050" on a 112LSA that really works well in those builds.  Decent idle, plenty of vacuum for power brakes, and strong power from idle to near 6000rpm's.

I avoid any of the "modern" lobe profiles for engines built here, or tight LSA.  They require too much spring pressure to keep things happy above the lifters and aside from a "ratty" idle they just don't deliver in terms of power production.

Of course if you are into "bling" and want a really lumpy idle, low vacuum at idle, stinky exhaust and poor street manners there are PLENTY of cams out there that fit that bill........Cliff

Offline 68rs/ss

• Garage guy
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2018, 06:25:44 PM »
Thanks for the advice on the BB build. Sometimes we do not realize how good some of the factory parts are. Phil

Offline 55 Tony

• Garage guy
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 07:13:26 PM »
Phil

I'm not sure if you don't believe the compression I said I read or if you think the gauges are faulty ... or something else?  I had hoped to loan a gauge from one of the local auto parts stores to see what it measures but I ran out of time and steam today.  Will it make much difference if the engine is cold?

No one seems to be able to say from the pictures I posted, if the valve relief area is cut into from milling and shaving the head a lot over the years or if that is common from when they were new.

Offline 55 Tony

• Garage guy
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2018, 09:34:06 AM »
For those here, and to satisfy my own curiosity, I borrowed a gauge.  At first I only got 185, then I remembered I didn't open the throttle!  With that open it then read about 205.  Quite frankly, I trust my gauge better.  Oh, the engine was cold, I don't know how/if that affects the reading?

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 03:59:30 AM »
Pretty high pressure readings for 454 CID with a 230 @ .050" cam on a 110LSA.  I'd suspect the true static compression is higher than you have calculated or the cam is advanced further than you think it is, or a little of both.......Cliff

Offline 73ss

• Carb lover
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 05:26:22 PM »
Based on how the intake valve is poked out of the chamber. I would say those heads have been cut quite a bit. I found a pic of my 781's, but the files are to big to post. Mine dont poke out like in your pic. I also have the 2.19/1.85 valves and yours looks to be the original 2.09?

Offline 55 Tony

• Garage guy
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2018, 03:58:36 AM »
"Based on how the intake valve is poked out of the chamber. I would say those heads have been cut quite a bit."

That is exactly what I've been hoping to hear, one way or the other.  Since it isn't knocking, is there any drawback of having too high of a compression ratio?   I have the timing at a modest 16* (for a BBC anyway).  I know a lot of BB are set to 18 or 19.

73ss, I'm going to send you my email if you could share that picture with me please.?

Offline 73ss

• Carb lover
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2018, 05:42:03 AM »
e-mail sent