Author Topic: Rich at WOT, lean at idle and cruise  (Read 9794 times)

Offline modrummer

• Garage guy
Re: Rich at WOT, lean at idle and cruise
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2018, 09:35:19 AM »
Quick update. Carb is all back together after installing one of Cliff's rebuild kits.

Idle tubes are now .036. DCR is now .050.

New accelerator pump, float, needle and seat, gaskets all around, etc...

Installed Cliff's Primary metering rods.

Drilled and tapped APT plug hole.

Drilled out idle mix screw holes to .093.

I dug out my old Performer RPM intake (7104, spreadbore bolt pattern) and decided "what the heck" and spent some time port matching it to a 1206 gasket so it could match up to my Brodix heads. This will allow me to finally latch the hood on my C3 (the vic jr. with carb adapter was a little too tall) and I have a feeling the dual plane will be more street friendly.

I've had almost ZERO free time the last few days to bolt things back together, got the intake on and torqued, but the distributor absolutely did NOT want to go in with the rotor pointing at the #1 cylinder at TDC. And yes, I remembered to use a long screw driver to align the oil pump shaft with the distributor. But it just hit me a few minutes ago, I wonder how accurate the timing mark is on my crank pulley. I found TDC by turning the motor over until the intake rocker on #1 had fully opened and closed and then just turned the motor a little farther until the "0" mark lined up with the timing mark on the crank pulley. But if that crank pulley mark is off, that would explain the difficulty. Going to put something like a straw in the #1 spark plug hole tonight to find actual TDC of the piston stroke and see if it matches the pulley mark. I keep having only 30 minutes at a time to spend working on the car so it's hard to make progress. Hopefully running by the weekend and can update with where the carb is at after all the fixes.

Thanks for the help so far!

Offline modrummer

• Garage guy
Re: Rich at WOT, lean at idle and ce & ruise
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2018, 05:50:24 AM »
Lowered the primary needles with the APT screw and loosened the air door spring tension another quarter turn. Some slight improvement for sure. I"m getting closer, it's pretty much fine tuning at this point.

One issue I'd like to figure out is the smell I get at idle. Part of it is that I'm running a carbureted vehicle with no catylytic converter, but I've run vehicles like that before and they didn't smell this bad. So I'm wondering if I have the PCV hoses hooked to the wrong ports, or some other vent port plugged that shouldn't be or something.

See attached pictures. The big hose circled in red goes to a T fitting with one end going to the PCV valve in the valve cover and the other end going to the charcoal cannister. The hose circled in green goes straight to the charcoal cannister. Is this correct?

And then in the rest of the pictures you can see the various ports that are plugged off. I am running full manifold vacuum for the vacuum advance.

Also, what is the port circled in blue on the back of the carb near the secondary air doors? Just another vacuum port?

Can anyone comment on the PCV/charcoal cannister connections I posted a few posts back in this thread? I am having some oil seep from my PCV in my valve cover and I'm wondering if I have the vacuum lines hooked up wrong...

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Rich at WOT, lean at idle and cruise
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2018, 03:36:04 AM »
I wouldn't put any vacuum to the charcoal canister, only to the valve cover located PCV valve instead.  This will put all the pull on the engine to remove crankcase pressure and vapor plus controlled vacuum from the PCV valve......Cliff