Author Topic: blow through quadrajet in a box questions....  (Read 4082 times)

Offline shnitzel

• Garage guy
Re: blow through quadrajet in a box questions....
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 04:23:02 PM »
hey Cliff,

i'd like to know more about these suggestions you had earlier.

i included the pic of our carb to hopefully understand the ports.  i cant figure which port to reference out of the box and down the intake runner?  and where to plug it?  picture of our carb is attached to my earlier post.  im not sure i totally understand this either.......

i would like to set this up just as you recommend.  how do we eliminate the power piston and primary metering rods?  do i just pull them out?

how far should we play with this before we order the parts you recommended?

sorry were such novices with the quadrajet.  i sometimes entertain going with a different carb, but that would be giving up!

here is the quote from your post:
---------------------------------
"The power piston requires external boost reference with a check valve from the intake side (manifold vacuum) so it doesn't pressurize under boost.

I much prefer to set them up to run straight off the jets and not use a power piston or primary metering rods for blow-thru applications.

You will need several items to keep things happy with that much power potential.  I high flow N/S assembly, correct jets, MAB's and small tipped secondary metering rods......Cliff"
----------------------------------------

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2019, 02:27:11 AM »
We send a plug for the PP with the jets. 

I base the jet sizing on the carb number and application.

It will require a high flow N/S assembly to keep the bowl full on hard runs, plus boost referenced fuel pressure increases to insure adequate fuel flow under boost......Cliff

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2019, 08:11:02 PM »
love your set up i wish i knew how to post pictures . me and my son turboed a 89 honda  the turbo stuck out the hood 2 feet . all stock parts 20 pounds of boost .he raced it in a class for junkers on the dirt track up against the rev limiter . you could here that buzz saw coming half way around the track.never took his foot of the throttle for 2 years finally bent a rod . who says stock parts aren't very tough.

Offline shnitzel

• Garage guy
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2019, 02:01:45 PM »
we really dont expect TOO much power from this.  the turbos are from early 80's turbo diesel VW's.  im thinking if we get 300hp from it were winning!

we do have a boost referenced fuel pressure regulator.  it runs good.  we have large fuel lines with a return to the tank.  pump good for 20psi.  regulator set to 5psi.

we are running msd stuff with boost timing retard.

and we have a AFR guage to keep an eye on things.

so im understanding we will need the high flow needle / seat, the plug for the power piston and the appropriate jets.

# on carb is "17058213", is that the # you need to help us out?

and i still need to fully understand rerouting that vacuum line and how to plug the hole.

how do we do this cliff, do you put together a parts list and send me a paypal request?

honest truth, weve been playing with this setup for 15 years and never got it to work right.  boost comes in, big grin and then goes lean....  blew up a few motors before the afr guage installed.  but were determined to get it right!  the motor just went into the nova a few years back.  and weve only blew it up once so far in there!  ha ha ha.  i built a similar setup on a honda with a weber.  this worked excellent!  we had no idea the quadrajet needed more attention than just being in a box.......

we are determined to make this work.  id love to not think about it for a while....  ha ha ha.

much thanx for your help.  love to give you guys a video of a burnout or something!

shnitzel

Offline shnitzel

• Garage guy
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2019, 03:46:09 PM »
i just reread this entire thread 3 more times....  i MIGHT be understanding a bit more...

so with the PP removed and plugged, and the metering rods removed = we dont have to reroute that vacuum line???

i might be totally off base....???

shnitzel

Offline 77cruiser

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2019, 06:37:40 PM »
If you remove the PP & plug you don't need the vac. line.
Jim

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2019, 04:46:41 AM »
We can do Pay Pal, or we take most major Credit cards.

If it's going lean at full throttle a set of small tipped metering rods would also be needed. 

The turbo carburetors used very small secondary metering rods with long tips on them......Cliff

Offline shnitzel

• Garage guy
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2019, 03:06:02 PM »
ok Cliff, im sending you and email to finish sorting out our parts list.

ill be back hopefully with good news!

shnitzel

Offline shnitzel

• Garage guy
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 02:20:43 PM »
parts installed, timing retarded a bunch more and were rollin!!!!

there is still too much snow to play with it properly.  the car will be insured next friday and well do some more testing then.

after we play a bit more with it ill give some more details of how the tranny is plumbed etc.  the whole system is working great!!!!

very excited!  thank you Cliff!!!!!!!!

shnitzel

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2019, 06:22:06 PM »
 8)  Good news!  Thanks for the update.....Cliff