Author Topic: air cleaner obstuction  (Read 1067 times)

Offline dwelch

• Garage guy
air cleaner obstuction
« on: November 01, 2018, 07:45:51 AM »
thought i would pass this along so it might help someone else. i run a one of those moroso gold aluminum air cleaners on my edelbrock 1904 q-jet. it's on my 81 malibu crate engine 350 375h.p. this is my fun hot rod that i get out to play with every spring and summer. i'm always checking stuff under the hood before i go for a cruise. i noticed the base of the filter was pretty close to the acc. pump arm and when i looked at the underside of the base there was some very small dings in it. they were all around and close to where the acc. arm would be. i put some gear marking compound on the arm, installed the cleaner assembly put a rag in the pri. bores to catch the fuel and then opened and closed the pri. throttle several times. when i removed the cleaner assembly there was marking compound right where the little dings were. i had a few airhorn gaskets in my garage and installed one of the thick ones on top of a standard one. problem fixed. what has me scratching my head is it ran great before and after. this 1904 is on the money.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: air cleaner obstuction
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 03:12:17 AM »
Thanks for the heads-up.

I'd also add here that we've tested many drop base air cleaner assemblies and some put the lid too close to the carb and hurt power......Cliff