Author Topic: Edelbrock 1713 Mechanical fuel pump  (Read 931 times)

Offline vic123

Edelbrock 1713 Mechanical fuel pump
« on: December 11, 2018, 04:10:18 PM »
Is anyone running the Edelbrock Performer RPM 1713 mechanical fuel pump on a 500 hp + engine with a qjet. Edelbrock says the pump is good for 600 hp.
I was wondering if it can supply adequate fuel to a qjet on a Pontiac 455 with KRE 295 heads making about 525 hp. I'd prefer not to use an electric pump.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Edelbrock 1713 Mechanical fuel pump
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 04:22:49 AM »
The pump is adequate, but keep in mind we don't see full capacity from engine mounted mechanical pumps thru stock 3/8" fuel lines (5/16" inside diameter) and stock sumps, etc.

WAY back when I first started making the Ventura a fast car I very quickly ran into fuel delivery issues with high capacity mechanical pumps.  I found that with stock lines they didn't work much better at the track than a stock pump.

I was able to "crutch" my scenario for a few years with a rear located electric pump instead just in front of the tank. 

The real cure turned out to be installing a sump on the tank and 140GPH electric pump behind the tank, 8an lines/fittings everyplace.  That move not only picked the car up nearly half a second at the track in permanently eliminated all fuel delivery issues.

I ended up very quickly installing a return system to take the load off the pump for "normal" driving, and it's been rock solid for almost 20 years now with only one set of brushes needed in the electric pump, and that was just a few months ago........Cliff