Author Topic: Rebuild frustration.  (Read 1817 times)

Offline dr.simpel

Rebuild frustration.
« on: December 12, 2018, 10:33:20 AM »
Hi , let me first introduce myself : I'm Bob , from The Netherlands / Europe.

I'm the 'fortuned' owner of a 1970 Pontiac GTO , which is in my possession for 17 years now.
Keeping this car roadworthy is a multiyear job if working on a budget.

There in lies the rub.

11 years ago I've bought the 'Cliff Ruggles , How to' book.
And a carb rebuild kit here and some other parts for the carb that has been on my engine for all these years.
I've only just recently have found the time to start installing an engine I build years ago and to rebuild the carb from the old engine.

So I start by reading this book and prepare a suitable workspace according to the book.
all the tools lined up , carb on the 'operation table' and 'Low and behold' one of the first things I come across is : "A must for all rebuilt Quadrajets , installing primary shaft bushings ".

I look at all the parts I've meticulously layed out on a separate table and . . . . nothing ?    ???
So , I start disassembling the next simple thing , the fuel filter.
Take it out look to the parts table and . . . the filter provided is 2x longer than the one I pull out ?

Needles to say , I go back to the house and get myself a beer and log on here.

This sort of stuff is so #*!# disappointing , I can't even explain.

Merry christmas , Bob.     

Offline rhinosoft007

• Garage guy
Re: Rebuild frustration.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 01:28:07 PM »
..."A must for all rebuilt Quadrajets , installing primary shaft bushings ".

I start disassembling the next simple thing , the fuel filter.
Take it out look to the parts table and . . . the filter provided is 2x longer than the one I pull out ?

It's not that bad Bob - how long will it take to get those 'missing' parts to you? I am in Australia and just have to bide my time when I place an order, great to see the box arrive.

I was not aware that you should replace the bushings, must have missed that paragraph? What if there is no wear at all, check that out?

Agreed that you need the filter, I have added another high flow filter BEFORE the fuel pump to catch the crap from the tank and lines - I noted that the lines are a bit rusty inside. In a pinch you could leave out the filter in the carb if you do what I did while setting up the engine etc.  Don't worry, I'm ready to be slammed over that suggestion but sometimes you have to put your neck out there.

Good luck on the build.

Graeme

Offline Frank400

• Jet Head
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2018, 06:39:52 PM »
You can build the carb and when you get the bushings, later, just remove the baseplate and install the bushings.

Removing the carb is like 5-10 minutes, and removing the baseplate is another 4 minutes when you have the carb on the bench. 

As for the filter, just do like Graeme said, install a universal filter on the line before the carb.

Frank.

Offline 429bbf

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2018, 07:34:44 PM »
i don't know your budget or how hard it is to get parts where you live . but the first thing i do with an old car that's been setting for a while is install a new fuel tank . most cost appox.100.dollars us . it save a lot of money on fuel filters and cleaning carbs .so far they make them for anything I've bought . example .1967 chevy pickup, 1972 ford ltd 1969 mustang .85 ford f250 dual tanks with electric fuel pumps in tank.79 f250 as far as the other problems the boys hit it right on the head  fwiw

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 02:08:00 AM »
First problem is that you are not working on a 1970 Pontiac carburetor.  A long fuel filter would be correct for that carb number but someone has installed a shorter filter housing on it at some point.

Get rid of the short metal fuel line and install a solid metal line between the fuel pump and carburetor as it is dangerous to use rubber hose and clamps on the pressure side of the pump especially if the steel line is just cut and no "bulge" put on it to keep the hose from slipping off.

That carb is also a hot-air choke model and would not work on a 1972 or earlier Pontiac intake as they were divorced choke.  Does your engine use a later or aftermarket intake?

That carb also requires a large hole in the air filter base for the vent tube and it needs to be sealed up to keep unfiltered contaminated air out of the engine......Cliff