Author Topic: need help diagnosing  (Read 1122 times)

Offline brianr1

need help diagnosing
« on: June 21, 2019, 10:49:57 AM »
i have a quadrajet on a stock olds 307 that had all the smog stuff removed, reg hei dist, and reg quadrajet put on it. the carb number is 17085???. I rebuilt the carb myself, cleaned it out, blew it out, new gaskets, needle valve, acc pump. it starts and runs pretty good, but once the secondaries open it acts like cuts in and out. new plugs, dist cap and rotor, waiting on plug wires as we speak. the mixture screws are turned out 3 and 1/2 turns on both. I was checking for vacuum leaks and noticed when I use my finger to open the top secondary air valve, the motor will die. was dark and didn't have chance to check the bottom flaps to make sure they are not hung open, will do that tomarrow. just looking for some advice,my base timing is set at 18*. thank you.

Offline A.G.V.chevyfreak

• Garage guy
Re: need help diagnosing
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 11:14:42 AM »
Hi.
I would check if secondary blades seats when throttle is closed. And secondary jet discs so to speak. Sounds to me like its pulling fuel when airflaps are still closed. I had a similar problem once where the discs were distorted (needles werent inserted properly somewhere in its past and bent discs were the result)
Due to that its causing fuel to pass and be sucked in with airflap still closed.