Author Topic: pull off chokes and solenoid  (Read 902 times)

Offline 91Burban

• Garage guy
pull off chokes and solenoid
« on: March 20, 2019, 05:06:53 PM »
OK I have read so much I just had to stop and ask for my own sanity.

I have a front and rear pull off choke...do I need both?

I have this vacuum style(promise its not electric) solenoid thing in the front near the throttle...do I need this?

Carb# 17085000, going on a stock 454 Suburban 4x4  4.56 gears

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: pull off chokes and solenoid
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 04:41:33 AM »
Many Quadrajets used two choke pull-offs dating clear back to the 1971 Buick units.

One will be a "primary" and the other a "secondary".

The primary pull-off typically unloads the choke and dampens the air flaps as it's secondary function. 

Up until 1979 the front pull-off was the primary and rear the secondary, then we started seeing rear pull-offs showing up with two links and they because the primary pull-off.  On some carburetors there will be only one rear pull-off since it performs both functions.

Your 17085000 should have a rear pull-off that serves as the primary and a front pull-off that's secondary, nearly as I can remember.

It will require the rear pull-off if that's the case and the front becomes optional.  Probably not a bad idea to use both in case on fails, but the primary pull-off needs to be working as it provides the secondary function of dampening the secondaries to prevent stumble/bog going quickly to full throttle.

As far as the fast idle solenoid on the drivers side front, they were used with A/C equipped vehicles and come on with the A/C clutch to prevent the idle speed from falling off too far.  If you have A/C you may want to use one........Cliff

Below is a pic of a later model carburetor that uses the rear pull-off as the primary pull-off.   It shows both links, one up to the choke and the other to the secondary air flap shaft linkage.

Offline 91Burban

• Garage guy
Re: pull off chokes and solenoid
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2019, 05:53:15 AM »
thanks for the fast reply Cliff.  Ill be on your store website today and get those ordered.. Yeah no a/c for me at the moment