Author Topic: Another Idle question  (Read 3367 times)

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Another Idle question
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2019, 05:02:24 AM »
Looking at your goals for the engine 108 LSA is NOT on the list of things to do to get where you want to be.

A big engine loves a big cam, and they will make great power with tight LSA.  Problem is that they don't behave well at idle, stinky and too much reversion for my liking. 

From what we've found here the wider we go with LSA the better these big CID engine run and certainly greatly improved street manners over really tight LSA.

500 CID and stock compression should still easily manage 230 or so @ .050".  I'd put it on a 112 or even at 114LSA if we were building it for you here........Cliff

Offline richie49

• Garage guy
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2019, 09:35:16 AM »
Cliff
     Its been a while since working on the car and its idle.I decided to do the best I can on the idle and see what this cam is capable of before I change it out. I put a new converter in it to help go into gear and its still very rough but drivable.
The idle is very rough like it has a vacuum leak which it doesnt have.I think the roughness is because of the 108 lobe seperation is diluting the fuel charge (do to low compression ratio)which is charatistic of the 108. The exhaust does not smell rich at idle ,so I was wondering if I can richen up the idle circuit more? I looked at the receipt I got from you on the idle tubes but I dont know what size they are ,to see if they are too big now.
    Richard  richie49

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 04:08:23 AM »
Tip-in the choke flap or gently place your hand over the choke housing at idle speed.  If it speeds up/smooths out then it needs more idle fuel.

You'll have to pull the idle tubes to open them up or replace them with larger ones.....Cliff

Offline richie49

• Garage guy
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 07:55:38 AM »
Cliff
   Thanks ,I'll give that a try.
   Richard richie49