Author Topic: Well plug kit and quadrajet book  (Read 1779 times)

Offline FizHD

Well plug kit and quadrajet book
« on: July 01, 2019, 11:23:34 AM »
Greetings,

I'm in the process of rebuilding my qjet 17086004. CCC on a 305.

First question on the well plugs.

I tested the well plugs with compressed air with bubbles on the caped side and none of the 5 leak.

I was having 2 issues that made me think they would be leaking.

1. When engine is up to temp and I shut it down and it sits for 20-30 min I would have to hold the throttle about half way open to get the car to start as it would act like it was flooded.

2. After sitting for 2 nights in the garage I would have to crank the engine for 5 seconds or so before it would start. I didn't check the pump shot or to see if the bowl was empty before starting the rebuild.

Here is a 3rd reason I thought for sure they were leaking.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MueUbf79L1Q8uZnS6

What causes the carbon buildup if they're not leaking?

Now onto the book question.
Does the rebuild book cover the CCC carb settings also?

I need to pick up the bushing kit for this rebuild too.

Thanks,
John F
« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 11:31:03 AM by FizHD »

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Well plug kit and quadrajet book
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 03:00:08 AM »
If you can't push high pressure compressed air past the plugs fuel at zero pressure isn't getting by them.

Lots of other reasons the carb acts empty and difficult hot re-starts unrelated to leaky bottom plugs.

I would get one of our rebuild kits and completely/correctly rebuild the carburetor.  Then evaluate it in all areas.

It is very important to install a new float and correct Viton N/S assembly and set the float correctly.  A "heavy" float and/or leaky needle or at the gasket under the needle will cause all sorts of difficult restart issues hot or cold.......Cliff