Author Topic: edelbrock 1405  (Read 1737 times)

Offline FNG

• Garage guy
edelbrock 1405
« on: August 04, 2019, 03:10:07 PM »
I was givin a 1980 formula.previous owner put in a 1975 455 Pontiac,which is stock.it has an edelbrock p4b intake and a edelbrock 1405 carb.has sat awhile,going to fire up engine so I can move it around during repairs.question is what would be a good jet and rod size for this carb.google search shows lots of complaints about them being rich out of the box.i rebuilt my qjet on my 1979 trans am with cliffs help and parts and its great,thats why I brought my non qjet question here.cliff is the man with carbs.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: edelbrock 1405
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 04:05:36 PM »
There is a complete chart of jet/rod sizes and the corresponding metering areas listed someplace.

I don't like or work on those carbs here as a general rule.  Once in a while one will slip thru the cracks and show up here....yes, some folks thing they are Quadrajets!

The correct way to tune is to test the carb in all areas, then go in and make changes if/as needed. 

Record the jet size, the rods, and change them out accordingly.  The rods can be changes w/o taking the carb apart.  They are also two stepped, with lots of options so you can choose the upper and lower section sizes to help get you where you want to be.

The rear is jets only, but typically they don't need much help back there.

The showstopper is the non-adjustable air door, a completely HOPELESS deal and why I don't use them for high performance work........Cliff