Author Topic: Secondary Well plug leaking  (Read 1251 times)

Offline tayto

• Carb lover
Secondary Well plug leaking
« on: August 26, 2019, 07:56:38 PM »
Pretty sure I already know the answer but I will post anyway. Leak checked carb before ultrasonic cleaning and blasting, checked OK. After, checked again and I get really small fine bubbles out. of the secondary well plugs. Tested with soapy water and 100 psi shop air. the other secondary and primary well plugs tested OK. Should I repair or is this "acceptable"?

Offline lightning boy

• Carb lover
Re: Secondary Well plug leaking
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 01:54:21 PM »
Perform the repair while you have it apart now. When the casting heats up it will leak.
you'll be glad you did.

Offline tayto

• Carb lover
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 04:16:00 PM »
i think i am going to go ahead and just do both primary and secondary. i have done this repair before and does not take much time. just have to wait 24 hours for the marinetex to setup

Offline tayto

• Carb lover
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 08:48:14 PM »
done

Offline Mr.Pontiac

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 08:00:15 AM »
I fool with this alot and think 100 PSI is way to much. 30 PSI is pushing it to the limits.No pressure on the fuel wells . I usually check with 20-25 psi never a issue. Hope it helps

Offline tayto

• Carb lover
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 09:19:19 AM »
It honestly took me just over an hour to remove, tap and fabricate the secondary well plugs. I cut off the end of a bolt, take it to the belt sander to get the length right and then cut a slot into it with a handheld band saw. The primary plugs i just use store bought set screws. I then use a digital scale to get my mixing ratio right for the marine-tex and install. Unfortunately you have to wait for 24 hours to let the epoxy set.

I almost think this should just be part of the standard rebuild from here on out. This is the 3rd carb I've done in a row that had leaking plug(s). Granted this one was minimal compared to the others.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 11:21:55 AM »
For $21.95 you could have bought our bottom plug kit and received $18 (best price on the NET) of Marine Tex with it.....