Author Topic: 462 w/800 cfm q/jet A/F #'s ?  (Read 1265 times)

Offline bober

• Carb lover
462 w/800 cfm q/jet A/F #'s ?
« on: October 29, 2019, 07:50:14 PM »
87 T/a Q/jet (800) ! What is ideal A/F #'s for a Pont. 462 on a dyno ? 1200 - 4700 rpm  pull ? If any estimates are available! Thanks

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: 462 w/800 cfm q/jet A/F #'s ?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 03:20:10 AM »
I don't even look at A/F on dyno runs.  When we go to the dyno I have a custom set of machined secondary metering rods with the same tip length and cut from the same cores.  I start out with rods around .040-.044" and work up and down from there to find the best power numbers.

Every engine is a little different as far as what it will like/want/need for fuel delivery to make best power.  Typically the tighter the quench, higher compression and better the cam selection was made in relation to head flow and combustion chamber shapes the LESS fuel it will want to make highest power.

The typical mindset of the hobbyist is that we need to throw MORE fuel at an engine to make best power, when it reality the exact opposite is true.  The better your efforts are to make more power and improved engine efficiency the LESS fuel it will typically need to get it done......Cliff