Author Topic: Marine Tex won,t dry help anyone  (Read 1445 times)

Offline Mr.Pontiac

• Qjet Hero
Marine Tex won,t dry help anyone
« on: February 07, 2020, 08:56:26 AM »
I bought a Box of Marine Tex and after 2 days it is still tacky. I could of bought  a box sitting on a shelf somewhere for yrs. but i don,t know. Mixed up enough for fuel wells, added about 4 drops of hardener. Usually in 3 to 4 rs its dry but not with this box. Anyway of getting it to dry more than what i have now?? Tryed a hair dryer on it to warm  it up and set it in front of my home register overnite. still a little tacky. Lesson learned!!Does Marine Tex have a experation date on the boxes??

Offline tayto

• Carb lover
Re: Marine Tex won,t dry help anyone
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 11:57:05 AM »
did you eye ball or measure? ive never had luck with eye balling marine tex i always use a digital scale and it hardens evertime. mine is close to 3 years old and sat in the back of a leaky work van for a year.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 12:02:40 PM by tayto »

Offline tayto

• Carb lover
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 12:01:56 PM »

MIXING RATIO: When mixing by weight, the ratio is 6.3 parts resin to 1 part hardener.) Always keep the epoxy at room temperature before mixing.

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Administrator
  • Qjet Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 02:58:05 AM »
I sell Marine Tex off the website and it's "fresh" as I buy in by the case.  Difficult to find it for less and for sure it hasn't been on a shelf someplace for decades.

This time of year I warm the parts I'm putting it on in front of a 1500 watt heater for a few minutes before applying it.  Depending on the temperature in the shop may put the two containers of Marine Tex in front of the heater for a minute or so to get them to "flow" some. 

Heat is your friend with Marine Tex.  It doesn't flow well or set fast below about 70 degrees but it will eventually set if it's a little colder. 

For sure you need to be close on the mix ratio, and it helps to work with small batches and spend some time to get it mixed thoroughly......Cliff

Offline Mr.Pontiac

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 08:10:48 AM »
Yes i eye balled it, i have a heater, next time i know what to do.

Offline Mr.Pontiac

• Qjet Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 05:46:11 PM »
Momma left for a couple hrs., put it in oven 225 degree,s for 45 min. hard like concrete.