Author Topic: Covid 19  (Read 52 times)

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Global Moderator
  • Qjet Hero
Covid 19
« on: March 23, 2020, 11:19:46 PM »
This virus is a game changer for sure.  Ohio is now pretty much locked down, most businesses are now closed, some will not make it and never re-open.  Tough economy right to start with and many local mom and pop businesses, especially bars and restaurants will not survive this.

It will also be very tough on many families as very few have much money in reserve these days at it is a very expensive time in our society to keep a home together and raise a family.

I am in agreement on the Governors decision here.  Although the measures being taken seem harsh and even drastic this is a very deadly disease.  Without modern technology many more thousands would perish.

Folks are just looking at the raw numbers and only seeing 2-3 percent or so for death rate among infected persons.  It could and would be much higher if this came along 100 years ago.

Take a look at the link below.  It's scary as to how lethal the Spanish Flu virus was back in 1918.  Most died to secondary infections that moved in once the virus ravaged their immune systems.  Also note that a high percentage of deaths were in the 20-40 year old range, clearly showing that these viruses can be very deadly to younger folks with healthy immune systems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_flu

Make sure to read down to the sections on the "Deadly Second Wave", and the sections on "Devastating Communities".

What they are doing makes sense, it's going to save lives.  Hopefully everyone reading this will look back on the Pandemic in 6 months and be glad that we took steps to protect ourselves from this virus.......Cliff

Offline ykf7b0

• Garage guy
  • Jesus Lives!
Re: Covid 19
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 05:57:38 PM »
Very good write up Cliff and I do agree with you on every point!

Offline Cliff Ruggles

• Global Moderator
  • Qjet Hero
Re: Covid 19
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 03:31:25 AM »
Thanks.  We are hoping folks take this seriously.  It's a social disease and this one is highly contagious.  If you stay home like we've been ordered to do here it will run it's course then disappear like the viruses before it. 

Hopefully it will also be an eye-opener for folks who don't plan ahead.  There has been significant "hoarding" in our area, started with food, then guns and ammunition.  You can't even find a box of 9mm ammo anywhere in my area.  Made a last trip to our local Rural King a few days before the lockdown to stock up on chicken and rabbit feed, and there were only a few boxes of ammo left, some 22 WMR, two boxes of 243, and two boxes of 308.  I couldn't get anywhere near the gun counter and didn't want to anyhow, folks were lined up to get whatever was left and it didn't appear like it was too much from where I was standing.

Hoarding shows desperation and lack of being prepared.  It can lead to looting and I'm sure we'll see some of that before this is over.  With everything closed up and law enforcement stretched pretty thin I'm sure the chit-hooks will take full advantage of it.  Our area has a LOT of drug users, and pretty high theft rates right to start with.  With everyone arming themselves and having to stay at home it may actually deter some of the B & E's we've been seeing in recent months, at least as far as homes go.  I'm sure they'll choose "softer" targets instead.  Problem right now is that the value of the stolen goods may not be all that much unless it's guns, ammunition or food.......Cliff